[HCCN] Event for International Human Rights Day in Brewer

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Fri Dec 5 19:27:38 EST 2008

Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.

"Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection
of their interests."

-Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 23, Section 4

Next Wednesday, December 10th at 6pm, you're invited to celebrate the 60th
anniversary of International Human Rights Day with Food AND Medicine and the
Eastern Maine Labor Council.  And what better way to celebrate than by
reaffirming our Human Right to organize through the Employee Free Choice
Act!  We will hear from workers currently involved in union organizing at
Medical Care Development, Bangor International Airport, and Alpha-One home
health care, and enjoy great potluck food, cake, and ice cream!

The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) has been the target of confusing,
misleading, big-business funded ads across our state.  This is because
employers know the balance of power that EFCA will restore to workers who
choose to organize a union, and they know how crucial Maine is in the
passage of the act.  Come hear the truth from those who are living the
unbalanced reality of current labor law.

We'll be sharing stories of what it's currently like to organize a union,
how EFCA would improve that process, how to talk with community members
about the act, and concrete actions that we each can take to ensure it will
pass.  You are invited to bring friends, family, co-workers, and a potluck
dish if you're able.  We hope to see you here at the Solidarity Center next
Wednesday!

Please RSVP.

In Solidarity,

Brent Hall, Development Director
Food AND Medicine
20 Ivers Street
Brewer, ME 04412
207-989-5860
Toll-free worker rights hotline 1-866-933-WCEM
www.foodandmedicine.org <http://www.foodandmedicine.org>
Food AND Medicine is a Jobs with Justice Affiliate