[HCCN] Everybody Eats - December 2009 Appeal

OneWomanStudio julia at onewomanstudio.com
Wed Dec 9 14:01:46 EST 2009

December 9, 2009

Dear Friends,

A hot bowl of soup on a cold, dreary day -- Is there anything more satisfying? For most of us, this is a simple pleasure. But for many in our area, it's a luxury.  Together we are changing that.

To date, Everybody Eats has hosted 25 suppers and served over 1700 individual meals to our community members. The suppers are free and open to all -- no questions asked. The meals are created entirely by volunteers who, over the course of the last few months, have logged nearly 950 hours preparing and serving the meals.

Concern has been growing in the Ellsworth area for those in the community who have been hardest hit by the economic downturn and are particularly vulnerable to hunger. On May 4, 2009, a large group of citizens, community organizations and churches gathered to discuss what might be done to address the growing problem of hunger and food insecurity in Ellsworth and the surrounding area.

It was decided almost immediately to offer a free community meal, featuring healthful, cooked from scratch meals served in a warm and welcoming environment. Thus, Everybody Eats Free Community Meal was born.

Everybody Eats! Free Community Meal is a grassroots, volunteer coordinated project whose goal is to provide free, healthful and wholesome meals  to our community members in a warm, hospitable, and stress-free environment while developing ongoing collaborative relationships among local organizations, groups, and individuals in the Greater Ellsworth area.

As colder weather -- and thus higher fuel bills -- approaches, we anticipate that the need for a supplemental food source will increase dramatically when people are faced with the choice of heating their homes or buying food.  Everybody Eats plans to respond to this need by increasing the amount of food we prepare, but we can only do this with your help.

Your financial support is essential to the survival of Everybody Eats. With your assistance and generosity, we can continue to offer free meals to our community members, and a warm place to enjoy them.

There are a number of ways in which you may support these efforts:

* You may sponsor an entire supper for $200.  This option will allow us to prepare approximately 100 - 130 servings of soup in addition to providing cheese, bread, salad, fruit and dessert to complete the meal.  It will also assist in offsetting the costs associated with all of the paper goods, to-go containers and other miscellaneous items needed during the supper.

* You may purchase a gift card to a local supermarket (Shaw's, Hannaford's, John Edward's) and donate it to Everybody Eats.

* Or, you may very simply donate any amount of money that is comfortable for your budget.  We recognize that this is a difficult time for EVERYONE, so we are grateful for any contribution that can be made -- $1, $5, $15, $50, $100, or more.

Please make your check payable to Everybody Eats and mail to P.O. Box 776, Ellsworth ME 04605.

Everybody Eats operates under the fiscal sponsorship of Washington Hancock Community Agency (WHCA) - a 501c3 non-profit organization; therefore, your donation is completely tax deductible.

If you should have any questions or need further information, please feel free to contact us by phone at 207.667.4472 or by email: julia at onewomanstudio.com.

Our deepest thanks in advance, and warm wishes for a peaceful holiday season.

Sincerely,

Julia Ventresco
President, Board of Directors
www.everybodyeats4free.blogspot.com