[HCCN] December Calendar of events

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Tue Dec 15 14:39:33 EST 2009

> Dear Newsletter editors,
>
> Here are some calendar items for January and later.  FEEL FREE TO
> PICK AND CHOOSE AND NOT USE EVERY ITEM.
>
> Larry Dansinger

December 30: Gaza Solidarity March, 12 noon, starting on High Street
near elementary school thru downtown Blue Hill. Call 326-4405 or
ccdogmail at yahoo.com.

December 31: Gaza Solidarity March, 1-3 PM, Castonguay Square,
downtown Waterville. Lisa Savage, lsavage3 at gmail.com or 643-2356.

December 31: New Year's Eve Peace Vigil, 6-7 PM, Market Square,
Portsmouth, NH. Seacoast Peace Response. Wes Flierl1 at netzero.net.

January 6: "Breaking the Silence" talk by Mary Kellett on :Keeping
Kids Safe" from child predators, 6:30 PM, Congregational Church, Blue
Hill. Call 667-4580.

January 9: Mini Teach-in on environmental and justice aspects of
overpopulation, 9:30 AM-12:30 PM, Maine Equal Justice Partners
office, 126 Sewall St., Augusta. Call 525-7776 or rosc at psouth.net.

January 12: Agricultural Trade Show and annual meeting, workshops,
and displays on organic agriculture by Maine Organic Farmers and
Gardeners Association, all day, Civic Center, Augusta. MOFGA,
568-4142 or www.mofga.org.

January 13-18: Series of Martin Luther King Jr. holiday events,
including a dialogue (13th, 6 PM, Portland Museum of Art), basketball
game (15th, 8 PM, Portland Expo), Gospel Concert (17th, 7 PM, Merrill
Auditorium), and breakfast/program (18th, 8 AM, Holiday Inn by the
Bay). Portland NAACP, 253-5074 or naacpportland at gmail.com.

January 15-17: Studying nonviolence in honoir of Martin Luther King
Jr. holiday, Living Water Spiritual Center. Peggy Smith, Maine
Nonviolent Communications Network, 789-5299 or
peggy at mainenvcnetwork.org.

January 17: Martin Luther King Jr. commemoration w/talking circle,
potluck, "I Have a Dream Cafe," 4-8 PM, Anderson Community Center,
downtown Orono. Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine, 942-9343
or info at peacectr.org or www.peacectr.org.

January 17: Candlelight vigil in honor of ML King holiday, 4:30 PM,
Town Hall, followed by discussion and eats, Library, Blue Hill. Call
326-4405 or judy at robbinsandrobbins.com.

January 18: Martin Luther King Jr. holiday event, candlelight vigil
and walk, 4:30 PM, Post Office to First Church, Belfast, with program
to follow. Call

January 30: Regional Conference to Resist Militarism, War, Anti-
imperialism, and Terror, MIT Campus, Cambridge, MA. Sponsored by New
England United. Lisa Savage, 643-2356 or lsavage3 at gmail.com.

January 29-30: Maine Farmers' Market Convention, all day, Belfast.
Downeast Business Alliance, 664-2424 x4460 or sjsalagala at whcacap.org.

February 6 (snow date: February 13): Workshop for war tax resisters
and annual meeting to plan Tax Day activities, 10 AM-3 PM, U-U
Church, 69 Silver St., Waterville. Maine War Tax Resistance Resource
Center, 525-7776 or rosc at psouth.net.

NOTICES:

"No Drones for Brunswick" is a campaign to prevent the soon-to-be-
closed Brunswick Naval Air Station from having unoccupied drone
aircraft at the facility. These weapons have been flown by "pilots"
in the US over Afghanistan and Pakistan and bombed communities in
those countries. The drones can also be used for surveillance of
people in the Brunswick area as well. To find out more about the
campaign, contact Brunswick Peaceworks, 725-7675 or
info at peaceworksbrunswickme.org.

The Genesis Fund in Damariscotta has been awarded a grant of $1
million to help facilitate loans for construction of affordable
housing and other forms of economic development in Maine. Genesis had
helped create senior housing in Bangor, housing for people with
disabilities in Damariscotta, and affordable housing on Maine
islands. Genesis is also looking for people and institutions in Maine
who want to invest in affordable housing. FMI: Genesis, 563-6073 or
info at genesisfund.org.

The Maine League of Conservation Voters has published its 2009
environmental scorecard. You can see how Maine senator and
representatives in the legislature voted on seven crucial
environmental bills, as well as their scores (+ or - judged by MLCV)
from past legislatures. For a copy of the scorecard or more info on
the MLCV: 620-8811 or www.mlcv.org.

Hot off the press: The final version of the Bill of Economic Human
Rights for Maine. The bill of rights, released just before the 61st
anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, presents a
list of economic rights that every Mainer should have, such as food/
clothing, permanent housing, health care, child care, basic needs, a
living wage job or entitlement income, education, and the right to
form or join a union. For a copy: Maine Poor People's Economic Human
Rights Coalition, 899-4623 (David) or janshouse at yahoo.com (Jan).