[HCCN] film: Visible Community, Ellsworth 12.26

Judith Robbins judy at robbinsandrobbins.com
Thu Dec 24 17:13:54 EST 2009

Hello to those in Hancock County,

I think this is an excellent film, and I recommend it highly. Sorry I
did not find out about the showing until today (Thursday).

Larry Dansinger

Subject: Visible Community Movie - Neighbor by Neighbor - Showing at
The Grand in Ellsworth Saturday, December 26 @ 7:00pm

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------|

| (Embedded image moved to file: pic22142.jpg)Neighbor by
Neighbor                                        |

|                             Neighbor by
Neighbor                                                        |
|                             A film by Round Point Movies and The
Visible Community, NR, 98min           |

|                             In the summer of 2004, the Mayor of
Lewiston, Maine announced a plan to     |
|                             develop a four-lane boulevard across
downtown’s low-income neighborhood. The|
|                             project was going to displace 850
people from their homes as well as destroy|
|                             playgrounds, vegetable gardens, and
historic buildings. As tragic as the    |
|                             circumstances were, the threat of a
road destroying the neighborhood        |
|                             required residents to rise to the
challenge of becoming community organizers|
|                             and resist the city's
plan.                                                 |

|                             This movie documents 5 years of
development and community organizing in     |
|                             Lewiston, Maine. It reveals the
strategies, the mistakes, the prejudices,   |
|                             the lessons, all of the difficult stuff
that makes up the political process |
|                             – the act of making decisions and
setting policy TOGETHER.                  |

|                             A portion of the proceeds goes directly
to The Visible Community.   Jim     |
|                             Lysen of The Visible Community will be
present to answer any questions.     |

|                             Saturday, December 26 @
7:00pm                                              |

|                             The Grand     Downeast Maine's cultural
arts center.                        |

|                              165 Main Street   Ellsworth, Maine
667-9500                              |

www.grandonline.org

craig at roundpointmovies.org

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------

       Jim Lysen, FQHC Executive Director
       Community Clinical Services
       B Street Community Center
       Suite 101
       57 Birch Street
       Lewiston, ME 04240

       Phone:  207-513-3897  Cell:  207-240-6785
       Fax:  207-786-8805
       E-Mail:  jlysen at stmarysmaine.com