[HCCN] an account of Gaza

Judy Robbins jrobbins at mainecoastmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:44:51 EST 2009

DEVELOPMENT
Aid worker: Gaza an "apocalypse"
Mel Frykberg, The Electronic Intifada, 3 February 2009

RAMALLAH, occupied West Bank (IPS) - As fears rise of renewed
violence in Gaza, Elena Qleibo, a French-Costa Rican aid worker from
Oxfam, gives IPS a first-hand account of surviving Israel's three-
week bombardment of Gaza.

Excerpts from her account:

I was attending a meeting at Gaza City municipality on 27 December
when suddenly the meeting was interrupted by heavy booming sounds
coming from a short distance away.

Plumes of smoke were rising from a number of bombed areas surrounding
the building I was in. I and a number of colleagues rushed outside to
try and establish what was happening.

Mayhem and confusion reigned as shocked Gazans realized they were
coming under a sustained attack from warships off the coast and
aerial bombardments from fighter jets circling the skies above. Later
on as I tried to gather more information from people in my
neighborhood, many appeared in a state of incomprehension at the
ferocity of the assault.

I am a cultural anthropologist, and first decided to make Gaza City
my home in 2004 after living and working in the occupied Palestinian
territories for a number of years. My first visit to Gaza was in 1987
during the first Palestinian uprising, or intifada.

During my years in Gaza I witnessed a lot of violence and upheaval
during previous Israeli military attacks but never before had I seen
devastation on this scale.

When Hamas took over Gaza in July 2007, I was forced to spend many
nights on my apartment floor as gunfights erupted in the streets
below, but the bloodshed and destruction was a fraction of what I
recently witnessed.

During the early days of the campaign, I was dreadfully worried about
the people who would inevitably be killed and maimed as I watched the
bombs raining down around me on densely populated neighborhoods.

As the nightmarish days of Israel's military operation turned into
weeks, I tried to spend a fair amount of time in my apartment and
only ventured outdoors during the daily three-hour lull period in
order to try and coordinate the delivery of emergency food and aid
packages to the wounded, starving and dying Gazans who were trapped
in their homes.

Sometimes I wasn't sure which was safer, remaining indoors to avoid
being bombed in the streets or leaving my apartment to seek shelter
elsewhere in the event my building was bombed.

One day as I was looking out my apartment window I saw fast moving
plumes of what at first appeared to be smoke coming from Israeli
planes in the skies over Gaza City. At first I thought they might be
tear gas but then realized this was very unlikely as the trails were
coming down way too quickly.

As the "smoke" blew my way it had a very acrid and rancid smell, I
then realized it might be a chemical weapon which could cause serious
injuries. I quickly closed my windows and curtains and hid in the
inner rooms of my apartment. Fortunately the wind then blew the fumes
away. I later found out that these were phosphorous bombs.

The scale of devastation and destruction became evident towards the
end of Israel's military assault, codenamed Operation Cast Lead.
During the first days of the ceasefire, my mind wandered back to my
first visit in Gaza when I had been overwhelmed at the beauty and
potential of the place.

It was summer 1987 and I had just returned from a refreshing morning
swim in a turquoise, clean sea lapping on a deserted powdery beach. I
picked some white sea lilies before joining a family of close friends
for a delicious breakfast of fresh green figs.

The family began to prepare lunch, which we later ate in the orchard.
Gaza was full of fruit trees back then. One of the most poignant
memories I have is the almost suffocating fragrance of orchards of
orange blossoms when I first passed through Beit Hanoun, in northern
Gaza, on my way to Gaza city.

As I look at what remains of Gaza now an apocalypse would describe
the situation accurately. Much of Beit Hanoun's trees, orchards and
greenery had already been leveled or uprooted during previous Israeli
incursions. But now the foliage and orchards are only a memory.

People are mostly exhausted and bereft of hope. But the head of one
agricultural association that I visited voiced cautious optimism that
he might be able to export two million flower buds that were stored
in refrigerators and had miraculously survived destruction.

I traveled to Beit Lahiya, also in northern Gaza, recently to visit
some of Oxfam's beneficiaries. The strawberry fields, chicken farms
and cow pastures were gone. The stench of dead and decaying animals
was choking.

Amongst the mountains of rubble that remained of homes, flattened
either by F-16s or Merkava tanks, people were gingerly picking their
way through, trying to salvage a few family items and attempting to
clean away the debris.

Other residents were too numb to do anything, and just sat around in
groups drinking tea. Even the dogs looked stunned, and instead of
barking at us as they usually do when we pass, they just stared at us.

The worst hit areas appeared in one area of Jabaliya refugee camp on
the outskirts of Gaza City. It used to be a nice neighborhood with
double-storey homes and neatly paved roads. Two houses remain. Some
people sat in tents while others sat on what remained of their homes.

Approximately 50,000 Gazans were displaced during the fighting. The
UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA) told me several days ago
that about 14,000 people had tried to return home only to find there
was nothing to return to.

These people are staying in temporary shelters as UNRWA and the World
Food Programme (WFP) tries to bring a semblance of normality back to
their shattered lives by providing temporary shelter, food and water.
Schools that were damaged are being repainted and rebuilt in a bid to
provide a less traumatic environment for children.

The destruction is overwhelming to the point where it is sometimes
hard to know where to begin after basic necessities have been provided.

Aid is slowly coming in but a lot more is needed. I feel very grim
about the future. There are so many people, breadwinners in
particular, who are amputees and seriously maimed. They will forever
be aid-dependent and unable to live normal lives or support their
families.

All rights reserved, IPS - Inter Press Service (2009). Total or
partial publication, retransmission or sale forbidden.

Related Links
BY TOPIC: Gaza massacres

©2000-2007 electronicIntifada.net unless otherwise noted. Content may
represent personal view of author. This page was printed from the
Electronic Intifada website at electronicIntifada.net. You may freely
e-mail, print out, copy, and redistribute this page for informational
purposes on a non-commercial basis. To republish content credited to
the Electronic Intifada in online or print publications, please get
in touch via electronicIntifada.net/contact