[HCCN] VHJR NEWS - Meeting March 10 - All Welcome

Bergin/Garvey bluehillme at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 26 13:59:29 EST 2009

Volunteers for Hancock Jail Residents (VHJR)
www.jailvolunteers.org  207-374-2437 / 374-3608

VHJR News -  February-March 2009

"Hoping to learn

Wanting to live

Our biggest curse
Your best asset
Not to be forgotten.
Just forgiven"

by Travis Battis (see below for complete poem)

Announcing - VHJR Meeting -- March 10th -- Everyone Welcome!  We invite you  to our next meeting, Tuesday, March 10th, 4:30 p.m., Ellsworth City Hall Auditorium.   Bring snacks if you wish.  Our meetings are informative and interactive among all volunteers and friends.  Please join us!  Info: 374-3608 or bluehillme at roadrunner.com

Maine Prisoner Advocacy Coalition (M-PAC) second annual conference -- Belfast Unitarian Church, March 21, noon-4 pm
Details soon at  http://www.mainepac.org/    M-PAC is a coalition of Maine prisoner advocacy groups, including VHJR.  If you'd like to carpool from the Blue Hill area, call 374-3608.

VHJR at Surry Community Improvement Association (SCIA) - Monday, March 2nd, 7 p.m.   Join us to bring the stories of VHJR's in-jail and post-release work to the folks in Surry.  Talk, Q&A, and refreshments.  Thanks to SCIA.

Deer Isle Panel Discussion  VHJR's jail and post-release will be the topic of a panel discussion at Deer Isle-Sunset Congregational Church, 11:00 a.m., Sunday, March 22nd.  All are welcome.

Successful Annual Appeal   VHJR / The Landing Project sent out our First Annual Appeal before the holidays. Results were excellent.  Despite economic difficulties people continue to be generous and encouraging.  Thanks to all who participated!  If you would like to receive an appeal letter, please contact us.

Thanks also for recent gifts from the Social Justice and Community Outreach Committees of many churches and organizations, including St. Francis-by-the-Sea, Blue Hill; St. Saviour's, Bar Harbor; Deer Isle-Sunset Congregational;  My Sister's Keeper, Cape Elizabeth; St. Brendan's Church, Stonington; Advent Christian Church, Sunshine; and Church of Our Father, Hulls Cove.   (All contributions are tax deductible)

Kudos to Lance Tapley, Reporter, Portland Phoenix   Lance Tapley reports on very important issues in Maine, including urgent matters concerning our incarcerated men and women.  His is truly a talented intelligent voice for often forgotten Mainers. See Tapley's latest article about DOC's second attempt to send Maine prisoners to corporate prisons out of state.  It is our hope that this short-sighted, unimaginative proposal has been defeated again.  http://thephoenix.com/Portland/News/75605-Baldacci-rejects-reform-embraces-corporate-prison/

The Landing Project for Post Release and Re-Entry  If you would like to be involved in a rewarding experience of mentoring or providing occasional transportation for a former jail resident, we would love to hear from you.  VHJR is also working closely with The Hancock County Prison Ministry, HOME Co-op, the City of Ellsworth, Hance House, and other generous groups and individuals.

Jail Residents'  Writing and Art  Thanks to the efforts of jail and prison resident friends, VHJR recently published "Notes from Inside: Writing & Art by Hancock County Jail Residents, Vol. 3."  You can order one by sending $7 or whatever is affordable (free for former jail and prison residents and their families & for people without adequate income).  To see new writing, visit: http://jailvolunteers.org/writing.html

Ellsworth Rotary Club   Jim and Judy were guest speakers at the Rotary Club in January.  What a generous group of Ellsworth business men and women!  An important evening for making friends and receiving suggestions for VHJR's post-release work.  Thanks Rotarians!

Volunteer Opportunities

1) Jail Library volunteers needed -- 2 hours once a month. Great experience!

2) Update VHJR's Community Resources List -- One-time update. Make calls and retype our present list.  Perfect way to find out what's available in this community.  The list is an essential part of VHJR's Post-Release Packet and is also used by many other groups and agencies in the area.

3) Ellsworth "Soup Kitchen" organizers needed.  Some caring people are beginning to make plans for free meals in Ellsworth to meet an increasing need for food.  To get in touch with the organizers, call 374-3608 or email bluehillme at roadrunner.com

More about food . . .Gratitude to Emmaus Center and Hance House for providing meals to their residents, HOME Co-op in Orland for serving a hot meal each weekday at 11:30 a.m., and The Maine Grind for donating $5 "Grinder Bucks" for each VHJR Post-Release Packet.  (Please thank Leslie at Ellsworth's Maine Grind when you visit this cafe and community gathering spot.)

 The Past

by Travis Battis

What a perfect view

Nothing gets missed

Free in a sense

To explore every detail

A whole new outlook

An impossible situation

Love enters with a crash

Longing like a splinter

Apathy like a pillow

So easy to fall into

So hard to get out

Never comforting

Constant questions

Answers  not enough

Everything just out of reach

Hoping to learn

Wanting to live

Our biggest curse

Your best asset

Not to be forgotten

Just forgiven

Peace

copyright Travis Battis,  2008

_________________________

We have the ability to comfort and heal by recognizing each other's value.  . . .

As we see others, we see ourselves. As we treat others, we treat ourselves.

Each encounter, then, is another opportunity to accept or reject our own worth.

Karen Casey, Hazelden Publications

Thanks to all our volunteers and friends, to jail and prison residents, and to everyone who supports VHJR.

Good wishes,

Judy Garvey

for VHJR

207-374-2437 / 374-3608

www.jailvolunteers.org    bluehillme at roadrunner.com

Book orders, Letters, or Contributions to:
VHJR
272 Turkey Farm Rd.
Blue Hill, ME 04614