[HCCN] fw: Help for El Salvador

Judith Robbins JUDY at ROBBINSandROBBINS.com
Wed Nov 11 08:15:44 EST 2009

---------------------------- Original Message
----------------------------
Subject: [Cispes-Alert] Hurricane leaves 130 dead in El Salvador,
thousands without homes: Help us raise $2000 by Friday!
From:    "Alexis Stoumbelis, CISPES" <cis... at cispes.org>
Date:    Tue, November 10, 2009 5:07 pm
To:      cispes-... at lists.people-link.net
espa�ol
EL SALVADOR DEVASTATED BY HURRICANE IDA
Help us raise $2000 by Friday!
November 10, 2009
Dear Friend in Solidarity,
Hurricane Ida hit El Salvador on Saturday, devastating the country,
especially the capital of San Salvador and the departments of San
Vicente
and Cuscatl�n. Though 13,000 families were evacuated, there are
already 130
deaths reported as a result of landslides and massive flooding. Over 250
homes have been completely destroyed and another 1800 damaged.
Rescue teams are removing tons of mud, rubble and trees in search of
over 70
people who are still missing, most from the community of Verapaz. Rescue
workers are reporting a lack of equipment and trained rescue dogs,
limiting
their ability to rescue people who may still be trapped.
We want to raise $2000 by Friday for disaster relief: please make a
<http://www.cispes.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296>
tax-deductible donation today!
There are some very powerful videos on line (
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKivq0cffk&feature=related> El Faro,
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAkmpWyZzM&feature=related> CNN en
espanol
and  <http://www.elsalvador.com/mwedh/media/default.asp> El Diario de
Hoy)
Many in El Salvador point out that the devastation caused by natural
disasters like hurricanes and earthquakes is so far reaching in part
due to
decades of neglectful mismanagement of emergency response and lack of
appropriate infrastructure development. The level of destruction is
exacerbated by the dire economic situation that forces people to live in
precarious conditions; in tin shacks, in marginalized communities, at
the
edge of rivers, and next to cliffs.
President Mauricio Funes pointed to the loss of life and widespread
damage
as an �expression� of the country�s �vulnerability� to
natural disaster, and
demonstrated a commitment to a new course for the country. The president
declared a state of emergency and the Legislative Assembly acted
quickly to
provide $150 million in emergency relief, including for farmers whose
crops
have been washed away. �This time, the government will not leave
the people
to suffer alone� We have to overcome this tragedy,� said the
President.
President Funes has called on the international community to support the
rescue and disaster relief efforts; Brazil and Guatemala have been
the first
to respond, followed by Cuba, Japan, Panama, and Venezuela, as well
as the
EU and the United Nations.
Hugo Martinez, Minster of Foreign Relations, stated, �The
Salvadoran people
are not alone, we have had the voice of solidarity from various
countries in
the world � and this help will be immediately channeled.�
Will you help the U.S. solidarity movement be next
international community to respond?
Please make a
<http://www.cispes.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296>
people-to-people donation today. The CISPES Education Fund (a 501(c)3,
tax-deductible organization) is collecting financial donations to
send to
community organizations in San Vicente and Cuscatl�n that are
spearheading
local rescue efforts.
Our goal is to raise $2000 by Friday. We are trying to move quickly
to help
get as many people to safety as possible and show the people of El
Salvador
that we are with them. Please consider
<http://www.cispes.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296>
making
a donation today, and asking your workplace, family, church or community
organization to do the same. Please be sure to type Hurricane Relief
in the
comments field. Mil gracias.
En solidaridad,
Alexis Stoumbelis
CISPES Executive Director
(photos: Reuters/Juan Carlos and La Sexta Notica)
If you no longer wish to receive our emails, you may unsubscibe here
<http://lists.people-link.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cispes-ern>
� 2008 CISPES - The Committee in Solidarity with the People of El
Salvador
CISPES National Office | ph. 202-521-2510 | 1525 Newton St. NW, Wash. DC
20010| cis... at cispes.org