[HCCN] Reminder: Annual Youth Activism Gathering, April 17-19, Turner Grange

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Sun Apr 4 12:53:50 EDT 2010

Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.

To Youth Activists and Friends of Youth Activists,

Last minute call for the tenth annual Youth Activism Gathering, April
17-19 at the Turner Grange, Route 117, Turner Center, Maine. If you
are a young person, we hope you will come and bring friends too. If
you aren't but know young people (children, friends, grandchildren,
students, etc.), please pass this on to them. Thanks.

Some confirmed or tentative workshops include: Empowerment, Earth
First!, Zine Making, Spiritual Paganism, Consent, Radical Mental
Health, Youth Radio, Gender, Privilege and Oppression, Water and Food
Security, and  Reproductive Rights and Womyn.

tenth annual

YOUTH
ACTIVISM
GATHERING

for youth to come together, organize, & share ideas. Meet people from
around the state; have a voice in our communities; share skills and
information to empower ourselves.

April 17-19, 2010

Turner Grange
Route 117, Turner Center

A three day celebration of political action, fierce youth brilliance,
and do-it-yourself fun. Come share ideas, skills, and experiences
with other youth from around the state.

Call or email for directions (and they will be sent to those who
register). The Turner Grange is on Route 117 in Turner Center, near
Leavitt High School and across from Kids Camp, about one and a half
miles east of Route 4

**To register and for more information, see us online at
MaineYAG.wordpress.com or email MaineYAG at gmail.com or call Larry at
525-7776.** You can also mail a registration and check (payable to
ROSC) to ROSC, 161 Stovepipe Alley, Monroe, ME 04951.

A note about money: In order to  keep the YAG going each year, we ask
for $5-10/day. But, if you can't pay that much or anything at all,
you're still welcome to come. We want everyone to come who wants to.

You can also register when you arrive at the gathering, but if we
know you are coming, it helps us to figure out how many are coming,
how much food to get, who can rideshare with others, etc.

(See below for registration form)

Everyone is encouraged to bring their own ideas for workshops or
discussions.

ALSO:

#Cook/Bake-off
#DIY "open mic" music and entertainment
#Cabaret Show probably on Sunday evening
#Time to hang out and meet activist youth from around Maine

All meals and lodging will be provided.

What is the Youth Activism Gathering?

The YAG is an annual event in which youth from all over the state
(and sometimes from other parts of the country as well) converge to
share ideas, explore issues and methods to resolve them, and share
knowledge and network with others. It's also a lot of fun!! The YAG
is a great way to meet and connect with youth from many different
backgrounds and areas and form new connections.

Who Goes to the YAG?

People who come to The YAG come from very divese backgrounds. It
doesn't matter if you've had lots of experience in activism or you
are completely new to it! Most people tend to be between their teens
and early 30's but both the young and young at heart are welcome.

SOME DETAILS:

*Arrive anytime after 10 AM on Saturday, April 17. Circle up at noon.
Gathering ends at 3 PM on Monday, April 19.

*All meals are provided and are vegetarian/vegan with meat options.

What Should I Bring?

#Sleeping bag or warm blankets, pillows, sleeping pad, a tent (if you
want more sleeping privacy, tenting will be available next to the
Grange, since we'll be sleeping at the Grange)

#Flashlight, friends, earplugs, towel, change of clothes, extra pair
of socks and shoes, warm clothes

CONSIDER BRINGING:

#Zines, instruments, books, games, poems, art stuff, flyers, stories,
poems, items to barter or give away, things for the open mic, and
anything else you want to share, and friends, of course!

REGISTRATION FORM (return by email to MaineYAG at gmail.com)

Return this form by April 13 if possible.
Registration at the door as space permits (we should have room for you).

Name:___________________________________

Address:________________________________

Telephone:___________________________

Email:_________________________________

____ Enclosed is $5-10 per day or $20 for all three days OR whatever
you can afford (You can pay at the door, too.)

____ Sign me up but waive the fee (We want you to come regardless of
financial resources)

____ I want to organize a workshop or discussion
on______________________________

____ I need a ride, please call me. (We¹ll call, include phone  number)

____I can offer a ride from _______________, please call me.

____I need childcare or something else_________________________

____I have special food needs (Please specify):

Make checks payable to ROSC and mail to:
Youth Activism Gathering
c/o R.O.S.C
161 Stovepipe Alley
Monroe, ME 04951

OR email this registration form to MaineYAG at gmail.com.

*Turner Grange is a drug- and alcohol-free space*

When youth get together, there is ENERGY, there is CREATIVITY,  there
is INSPIRATION, and there is POWER.