[HCCN] March 18-19 Rally and Protest against Anthem in Portland

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Wed Mar 10 09:47:07 EST 2010

Please forward to others in your group or area. Lots of us are not
close to Portland, but the issue affects everyone in Maine. Thanks.

Dear Friend,
It's ANTHEM vs. MAINE, and Maine needs your help.
The cost of health insurance keeps skyrocketing, and Anthem keeps
profiting. Now, they are suing the State for the right to charge
Mainers even more for the health insurance we ALREADY can’t afford.
But Anthem and Maine will square off in court on March 19, and Maine
needs your help!
JOIN THE PROTEST – SIGN UP TODAY BY CLICKING HERE!
For the last year, thousands of Mainers have been fighting Anthem
Blue Cross Blue Shield's attempts to jack up their premiums as much
as 35% on individuals. We have worked together to get the state to
make Anthem keep the rate hikes down, but now Anthem is suing Maine
for a guaranteed 3% profit.  Dozens of organizations, faith leaders,
and hundreds of activists are calling for a two-day mobilization in
Portland right before the court hearing to show Anthem that Maine
will NEVER back down in the fight for quality, affordable health care
for all.
JOIN THE FIGHT - CLICK HERE TO GET INVOLVED!
  MARCH 18, 5pm - RALLY & PROTEST!
The night before the hearing, join hundreds of Mainers outside the
Cumberland County Courthouse
to protest Anthem's greed.
MARCH 19, 8am - PACK THE COURTHOUSE!
Help us fill the courtroom and the park outside to support Maine
in its fight against the greed that hurts our families.

Here’s the skinny: Last year, Anthem asked for an 18% rate hike for
certain policyholders.  After holding hearings, Maine’s
Superintendent of Insurance denied that request but did grant Anthem
a 10.9% rate increase. That wasn’t enough for Anthem! They decided to
file a lawsuit against the state of Maine to ensure a guaranteed
profit at a time when many Mainers are struggling just to make ends
meet. That case hasn’t even been heard yet, and Anthem has already
requested an additional 23% rate increase on the same policyholders
on top of what they are suing for. Wellpoint, Anthem’s parent
company, made $2.7 billion dollars just in the 4th quarter of 2009,
yet they are now asking Mainers to pay even more.
We have a unique opportunity. The March 18 rally will have a strong
impact by reminding the public that, without reform, they are left to
the whim of Anthem’s greed. Without passing health care reform, our
elected officials will also be letting us down.
Now is the time to take a stand, and every person can make a
difference. It will be exciting, historic and memorable  - but it
takes all of us standing together.

NOW IS THE TIME – CLICK HERE – HELP MOBILIZE – TELL YOUR FRIENDS