[HCCN] MPA needs help with a 4/23 vote on Orrington mercury cleanup

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Thu Mar 25 10:33:20 EDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Breaking News: Orrington Referendum Date Set!
Date: 	Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:45:09 -0800 (PST)
From: 	Ryan Tipping-Spitz <ryan at mainepeoplesalliance.org>

Late last night, the Orrington select
board set April 23rd as the date for a referendum that will finally
allow local residents to have their say about what to do with the
hundreds of tons of dangerous, contaminated materials that have been
left on the banks of the Penobscot River.

Mallinckrodt Inc., owner of the former HoltraChem plant, is trying to
shirk their responsibility for the tons of mercury they've dumped into
the local environment.

MPA will be fighting this corporate polluter all the way to the polls.
Please help us win by sponsoring get-out-the-vote efforts for five
voters with a contribution of $25 dollars.

      https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=10349

As I write this, there are five degrading landfills sitting on the
HoltraChem site, dangerously close to the banks of the Penobscot River.
The State has ordered Mallinckrodt to clean up the site by removing all
the contaminated materials from the river banks and transporting the
material off- site, but the corporation is trying to get away with
leaving hundreds of tons of mercury-contaminated sludge in landfills
that are already leaking.

It's going to take a big effort to win this fight. Mallinckrodt has
already spent considerable resources convincing the town select board to
support the company's disingenuous clean-up plan, and now we can expect
the company to spend even more to flood Orrington with propaganda as
the vote to repeal the selectmen's decision approaches.

The election could come down to just a few votes. In order to win, our
volunteers in Orrington are going to have to identify and turn out
hundreds of residents who care about the future of their town.

They need your help.

We estimate that it will take $5 to educate and motivate each voter we
need to make it to the polls on April 23rd. We also estimate we'll be
outspent by Mallinckrodt by ten to one. $50 means ten more votes for a
clean environment and another blow struck against corporate pollution.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan Tipping-Spitz
MPA Environmental Organizer
ryan at mainepeoplesalliance.org