[HCCN] Kathy Kelly: Pacified

Judith Robbins JUDY at ROBBINSandROBBINS.com
Tue Mar 30 19:04:38 EDT 2010

Published on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 by CommonDreams.org
Pacified

by Kathy Kelly
If the U.S. public looked long and hard into a mirror reflecting the
civilian atrocities that have occurred in Afghanistan, over the past
ten months, we would see ourselves as people who have collaborated
with and paid for war crimes committed against innocent civilians who
meant us no harm.

Two reporters, Jerome Starkey (the Times UK ), and David Lindorff,
(Common Dreams ), have persistently drawn attention to U.S. war
crimes committed in Afghanistan. Makers of the film "Rethinking
Afghanistan" have steadily provided updates about the suffering
endured by Afghan civilians. Here is a short list of atrocities that
have occurred in the months since General McChrystal assumed his post
in Afghanistan.

December 26th, 2009:  US-led forces, (whether soldiers or "security
contractors" (mercenaries) is still uncertain), raided a home in
Kunar Province and pulled eight young men out of their beds,
handcuffed them, and gunned them down execution-style.  The Pentagon
initially reported that the victims had been running a bomb factory,
although distraught villagers were willing to swear that the victims,
youngsters, aged 11 - 18, were just seven normal schoolboys and one
shepherd boy.  Following courageous reporting by Jerome Starkey, the
U.S. military carried out its own investigation and on February 24th,
2010, issued an apology, attesting the boys' innocence.

February 12, 2010:  U.S. and Afghan forces raided a home during a
party and killed five people, including a local district attorney, a
local police commander two pregnant mothers and a teenaged girl
engaged to be married.  Neither Commander Dawood, shot in the doorway
of his home while pleading for calm waving his badge, nor the
teenaged Gulalai, died immediately, but the gunmen refused to allow
relatives to take them to the hospital. Instead, they forced them to
wait for hours barefoot in the winter cold outside.

Despite crowds of witnesses on the scene, the NATO report insisted
that the two pregnant women at the party had been found bound and
gagged, murdered by the male victims in an honor killing.  A March
16, 2010 U.N. report, following on further reporting by Starkey,
exposed the deception, to meager American press attention.

Two weeks later: February 21st, 2010: A three-car convoy of Afghans
was traveling to the market in Kandahar with plans to proceed from
there to a hospital in Kabul where some of the party could be taken
for much-needed medical treatment.  U.S. forces saw Afghans
travelling together and launched an air-to-ground attack on the first
car.  Women in the second car immediately jumped out waving their
scarves, trying desperately to communicate that they were civilians.
The U.S. helicopter gunships continued firing on the now unshielded
women. 21 people were killed and 13 were wounded.

There was press attention for this atrocity, and U.S. General Stanley
McChrystal would issue a videotaped apology for his soldiers' tragic
mistake.  Broad consensus among the press accepted this as a gracious
gesture, with no consequences for the helicopter crew ever demanded
or announced.

Whether having that gunship in the country was a mistake - or a crime
- was never raised as a question.

And who would want it raised?  Set amidst the horrors of an ongoing
eight-year war, how many Americans think twice about these
atrocities, hearing them on the news.

So I'm baffled to learn that in Germany, a western, relatively
comfortable country, citizens raised a sustained protest when their
leaders misled them regarding an atrocity that cost many dozens of
civilian lives in Afghanistan.

The air strike was conducted by US planes but called in by German
forces.   On September 4, 2009, Taleban fighters in Kunduz province
had hijacked two trucks filled with petrol, but then gotten stuck in
a quagmire where the trucks had sank.  Locals, realizing that the
trucks carried valuable fuel, had arrived in large numbers to siphon
it off, but when a German officer at the nearest NATO station learned
that over 100 people had assembled in an area under his supervision,
he decided they must be insurgents and a threat to Germans under his
command. At his call, a U.S. fighter jet bombed the tankers,
incinerating 142 people, dozens of them confirmable as civilians.

On September 6, 2009, Germany's Defense Minister at the time, Franz
Josef Jung, held a press conference in which he defended the attack,
playing down the presence of civilians.  He wasn't aware that video
footage from a US F15 fighter jet showed that most of the people
present were unarmed civilians gathering to fill containers with fuel.

On November 27, 2009, after a steady outcry on the part of the German
public, the Defense Minister was withdrawn from his post, (he is now
a Labor Minister), and two German military officials, one of them
Germany's top military commander Wolfgang Schneiderhan, were forced
to resign.

I felt uneasy and sad when I realized that my first response to this
story was a feeling of curiosity as to how the public of another
country could manage to raise such a furor over deaths of people in
faraway Afghanistan.  How odd to have grown up wondering how anyone
could ever have been an uninvolved bystander allowing Nazi atrocities
to develop and to find myself, four decades later, puzzling over how
German people or any country's citizenship could exercise so much
control over their governance.

Today, in the US, attacks on civilians are frequently discussed in
terms of the "war for hearts and minds.".

Close to ten months ago, Defense Secretary Robert Gates told
reporters at a June 12, 2009 press conference in Brussels that
General Stanley McChrystal "would work to minimize Afghan civilian
casualties, a source of growing public anger within Afghanistan."

"Every civilian casualty -- however caused -- is a defeat for us,"
Gates continued, "and a setback for the Afghan government."

On March 23rd, 2010, McChrystal was interviewed by  the Daily
Telegraph. "Your security comes from the people," he said. "You don't
need to be secured away from the people. You need to be secured by
the people. So as you win their support, it's in their interests to
secure you, .... This can mean patrolling without armored vehicles or
even flak jackets. It means accepting greater short-term risk - and
higher casualties - in the hope of winning a "battle of perceptions
and perspectives" that will result in longer-term security."

And on March 2nd, 2010, he told Gail McCabe "What we're trying to do
now is to increase their confidence in us and their confidence in
their government.  But you can't do that through smoke and mirrors,
you have to do that through real things you do - because they've been
through thirty-one years of war now, they've seen so much, they're
not going to be beguiled by a message."

We're obliged as Americans to ask ourselves whether we will be guided
by a message such as McChrystal's or by evidence.  Americans have not
been through thirty-one years of war, and we have managed to see very
little of the consequences of decades of warmaking in Afghanistan.

According to a March 3, 2010 Save the Children report, "The world is
ignoring the daily deaths of more than 850 Afghan children from
treatable diseases like diarrhea and pneumonia, focusing on fighting
the insurgency rather than providing humanitarian aid."  The report
notes that a quarter of all children born in the country die before
the age of five, while nearly 60 percent of children are malnourished
and suffer physical or mental problems.  The UN Human Development
Index in 2009 says that Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries
in the world, second only to Niger in sub-Saharan Africa.

The proposed US defense budget will cost the U.S. public two billion
dollars per day.  President Obama's administration is seeking a 33
billion dollar supplemental to fund wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Most U.S. people are aware of Taleban atrocities, and many may
believe the U.S. troops are in Afghanistan to protect Afghan
villagers from Taleban human rights abuses.  At least the mainstream
news media in Germany and the UK will air stories of atrocities. The
U.S. people are disadvantaged inasmuch as the media and the Pentagon
attempt to pacify us, winning our hearts and minds to bankroll
ongoing warfare and troop escalation in Afghanistan.  Yet it isn't
very difficult to pacify U.S. people.  We're easily distracted from
the war, and when we do note that an atrocity has happened, we seem
more likely to respond with a shrug of dismay than with a sustained
protest.

At the Winter Soldier hearings, future presidential hopeful John
Kerry movingly asked Congress how it could ask a soldier "To be the
last man to die for a mistake," while contemporary polls showed less
prominent Americans far more willing to call the Vietnam war an evil
- a crime - a sin - than "a mistake."  The purpose of that war, as of
Obama's favored war in Afghanistan, was to pacify dangerous
populations - to make them peaceful, to win the battle of hearts and
minds.

Afghan civilian deaths no longer occur at the rate seen in the war's
first few months, in which the civilian toll of our September 11
attacks, pretext for the war then as it is now, was so rapidly exceeded.

But every week we hear - if we are listening very carefully to the
news, if we are still reading that final paragraph on page A16 - or
if we are following the work of brave souls like Jerome Starkey - of
tragic mistakes.  We are used to tragic mistakes.  Attacking a
country militarily means planning for countless tragic mistakes.

Some of us still let ourselves believe that the war can do some good
in Afghanistan,  that our leaders' motives for escalating the war,
however dominated by strategic economic concerns and geopolitical
rivalries, still in some small part include the interests of the
Afghan people.

There are others who know where this war will lead and know that our
leaders know, and have simply become too fatigued, too drained of
frightened tears by this long decade of nightmare, to hold those
leaders accountable anymore for moral choices.

It's worthwhile to wonder, how did we become this pacified?

But far more important is our collective effort to approach the
mirror, to stay in front of it, unflinching, and see the consequences
of our mistaken acquiescence to the tragic mistakes of war, and then
work, work hard, to correct our mistakes and nonviolently resist
collaboration with war crimes.
Kathy Kelly, a co-coordinator of Voices for Creative Nonviolence.
Kathy Kelly's email is kathy at vcnv.org

Article printed from www.CommonDreams.org

URL to article: http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/03/30-0