[HCCN] Come to Poverty Free Maine Convention, October 30 in Augusta

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Thu Sep 16 11:49:31 EDT 2010

Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.

Poverty Free Maine Convention

How Maine Can End Poverty by Establishing Economic Human Rights

Saturday, October 30, 2010, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Jewett Hall, Univ. of Maine, Augusta

Sponsored by Maine Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Coalition

If you are low income, we especially want you to come and speak up.
If you are not, we welcome you also as allies to support us.

The MAINE POOR PEOPLE’S ECONOMIC HUMAN RIGHTS COALITION works to
inspire and exact change for the betterment of our lives and
communities by generating a movement that unites the poor and their
allies. Members share a common vision of a society where all have
rights to housing, living wage jobs, health care, quality education,
and other economic human rights.

Maine PPEHRC wants the Maine legislature to adopt and enforce our
Bill of Economic Human Rights (below), which we will ratify at the
convention:

Bill of Economic Human Rights for Maine

1) Every individual has a right to have her/his basic needs met, such
as:
* food and clothing
* permanent housing
* health care
* child care

2) Every individual has a right to income to provide the basic needs
of her/his family, through productive employment and/or through
entitlements.

3) Every individual has a right to:
* freedom from discrimination in obtaining her/his basic needs
* seek one's choice of employment
* access to public transportation that supports employment retention
* productive work with equal pay for equal or comparable work at a
livable wage
* protections against the ill effects of unemployment
* a standard of living that is adequate for security and well-being.

4) Every individual has a right to:
* form and join labor unions and other groups which protect her/his
interests
* bargain collectively on issues such as pay and working conditions
* work in businesses or cooperatives which provide maximum
opportunities for economic democracy
* strike without fear of reprisals.

5) Every individual has a right to education or training to obtain
the skills that allow her/him to participate in and contribute to the
Maine economy.

6) Every individual has a right to access financial services,
including, but not limited to, savings or checking accounts, loans
and IRA's.

7) Every individual has a right to access quality legal services
regardless of the ability to pay.

SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY:

8:30 AM—Registration

9:00 AM—Introductions

9:30 AM—Panel Discussion: “Exercising Your Economic Human Rights”

10:30 AM—Break

10:45 AM—Participant Feedback and Comments

11:30 AM—Ratification of Bill of Economic Human Rights for Maine

12 Noon—Lunch will be provided (with vegan and vegetarian options)

1:00 PM—Workshop #1

2:30 PM—Workshop #2

4:00 PM—Closing Discussions

(Workshop topics include: Right to free post secondary education,
right to earn a livable wage, right to health care, preventing
homelessness. Attendees will have the opportunity to select which
workshops they would like to attend during morning registration.)

REGISTRATION FORM

(typing information on this form and replying by email is fine)

Name__________________________________

Address_______________________________

Town/city_____________________________

State/Zip code__________________________

Phone_________________________________

Email _________________________________

Please Check all that Apply:

___I am registering for Poverty-Free Maine Convention, October 30

Registration fee: The event is free; however, donations are greatly
appreciated.

Childcare

___I need childcare. Please list ages of children.

______________________________________

Ride Share:

___I need a ride from_____________________

___I can offer a ride from _________________

Please note any other special accommodations

Return this form, preferably by October 25th, to:

Maine PPEHRC

PO Box 105, Fairfield, ME 04937

or email to mlightfootlane at gmail.com

For registration or other questions: