[HCCN] fw: Film & Discussion, US/Israel Foreign Policy

Peter Robbins peter at robbinsandrobbins.com
Sat Sep 25 17:03:35 EDT 2010

forwarded by Bill Conway, Community Free Films (CFF)

For Immediate Publication - PRESS RELEASE

From: Bill Conway

             #963-4126

Date:            09-17-10

   RE:            Wednesday, September 29th Video & Discussion

Place:            Ellsworth Library River Room  6-8pm

U.S. Voters Continue to Support Israel Military Action

Two months before a September announcement that Israel and the
Palestinian Authority would begin talks to end the long conflict
between their countries, Andrew J. Shapiro, Assistant United States
Department of State official, delivered a speech at the Brookings
Saban Center for Middle East Policy.  The speech primarily emphasized
the “Obama administration’s approach to the U.S. – Israel Security
Cooperation: Preserving Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge.”  The
title and opening two paragraphs of the speech leads to images of a
continued, long-term conflict and war in the Middle East.

In reference to “the Obama Administration’s enduring commitment to
Israel’s security”, Mr. Shapiro states, “And I am proud to say that
as a result of this commitment, our security relationship with Israel
is broader, deeper and more intense than ever before.”  One of Mr.
Shapiro’s responsibilities is “to preserve Israel’s Qualitative
Military Edge, or QME.”  The entire Shapiro speech can be obtained by
going to: www.state.gov/t/pm/ris/rm/144753.htm.

The remarks by Mr. Shapiro set the stage for the future of Israel and
Palestine.  Brit Tzedik V. Shalom (American Jewish Alliance for
Justice and Peace) is a national organization that has indicated
their belief that the current U.S. – Israel foreign policy is
“unwise”, and that if continued, Israel as a nation state could cease
to exist.  This information was provided in a Brit Tzedik brochure
that Bill Conway (Director of Community Free Films) obtained while
attending Brit Tzedik meetings in Bangor.

Conway states, “CFF agrees with Brit Tzedik. Over the past ten years
we have compiled documentary film evidence that American citizens
have been easily led to ignore past U.S. - Israel foreign policy.”
Conway further believes that Mr. Shapiro, in his passionate speech,
clearly points to a future that will not be peaceful.

CFF invites anyone in the Ellsworth area who is interested in
supporting both Israel and the Palestinian people to watch a short
film followed by brief discussion on September 29th at the Ellsworth
Library River Room from 6 to 8 pm.  Our purpose is to discuss in
small groups a way to address how a “wise” U.S. – Israel foreign
policy can be developed by the United States.  We will consider any
action we may take as individuals or as a group.