[HCCN] Come to the 11th annual YOUTH ACTIVISM GATHERING (YAG), April 16-18, Turner Grange

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Wed Mar 2 14:55:45 EST 2011

To Youth Activists and Friends of Youth Activists AND PLEASE PASS
ALONG TO OTHERS IN YOUR GROUP OR AREA,

If you are a young person, we hope you will come and bring friends
too. If you aren't but know young people (friends, children, co-
workers, grandchildren, students, etc.), please pass this on to them.
Thanks.

eleventh annual

YOUTH

ACTIVISM

GATHERING

for youth to come together, organize, & share ideas. Meet people from
around the state; have a voice in our communities; share skills and
information to empower ourselves.

April 16-18, 2011

Turner Grange

Route 117, Turner Center

What is the Youth Activism Gathering?

The YAG is an annual event in which youth from all over the state
(and sometimes beyond) converge to share ideas, explore issues and
methods of resolving them, share knowledge, network and get creative.
The YAG is a 3-day celebration of political action, fierce youth
brilliance, and do-it-yourself fun! Come share ideas, skills, and
experiences with other youth from around the state.

Who Comes to the YAG?

--People from diverse backgrounds

--People with any level of experience

--Mostly people in their teens to 30’s but all young at heart are
welcome

--Doesn't matter if you've had lots of experience in activism or you
are completely new to it!

Call or email for directions (and they will be sent to those who
register). The Turner Grange is on Route 117 in Turner Center, near
Leavitt High School and across from the former “Kids Camp,” about one
and a half miles east of Route 4

**To register and for more information, see us online at
MaineYAG.wordpress.com or email MaineYAG at gmail.com or call Meaghan at
973-862-7105.** You can also mail a registration and check (payable
to ROSC) to ROSC, 161 Stovepipe Alley, Monroe, ME 04951.

A note about money: In order to keep the YAG going each year, we ask
for $5-10/day. But, if you can't pay that much or anything at all,
you're still welcome to come. We want everyone to come who wants to.

You can also register when you arrive at the gathering, but if we
know you are coming, it helps us to figure out how many are coming,
how much food to get, who can rideshare with others, etc.  (See below
for registration form)

Come to workshops & discussions on lots of issues. Examples of past
workshops:

*Ice Breakers and Team Building

*Grass Roots Media Making

*Gender

*Reproductive Health/Safe Sex

*Consent

*Anti-Oppression

*Environmentalism

*Earth First!

*Homophobia and Racism

*Reproductive Health

*Herbal First Aid

And many more..........

Everyone is encouraged to bring their own ideas for workshops or
discussions.

ALSO, traditionally there has been:

#Bake-off

#DIY "open mic" music and entertainment

#Cabaret Show

#Time to hang out and meet activist youth from around Maine

#Meals and snacks for hungry activists (meals are vegetarian/vegan
with meat options).

#Sleeping space inside the Grange and also tenting outside (bring
sleeping bags)

SOME DETAILS:

*Arrive anytime after 10 AM on Saturday, April 16. Circle up at noon.
Gathering ends at 3 PM on Monday, April 18.

Things you may be glad you brought to the YAG:

#Sleeping bag or warm blankets, pillows, sleeping pad, a tent (if you
want more sleeping privacy, tenting will be available next to the
Grange, since we'll be sleeping at the Grange), ear plugs

#Flashlight, friends, earplugs, towel, change of clothes, extra pair
of socks and shoes, warm clothes

ALSO THINK ABOUT BRINGING:

#Zines, instruments, books, games, poems, art stuff, flyers, stories,
poems, items to barter or give away, things for the open mic,
thoughts/ideas/dreams, and anything else you want to share, and
friends, of course!

REGISTRATION FORM (return by email to MaineYAG at gmail.com)

Return this form by April 13 if possible.

You can also register at the door (but registering ahead helps us
with who’s coming, food planning, ride sharing, etc.)

Name:___________________________________

Mailing Address/Town/Zip:________________________________

Telephone:___________________________

Email:_________________________________

____ Enclosed is $5-10 per day or $20 for all three days OR whatever
I can afford (OK to pay at the door, too.)

____ I want to organize a workshop or discussion
on______________________________

____ I need a ride, please call me. (We’ll call, include phone number)

____I can offer a ride from _______________, please call me.

____I need childcare or something else_________________________

____I have special food needs (Please specify):

Make checks payable to ROSC and mail to:

Youth Activism Gathering/ROSC

161 Stovepipe Alley

Monroe, ME 04951

OR email this registration form to MaineYAG at gmail.com.

*Turner Grange is a drug- and alcohol-free space*

When youth get together, there is ENERGY, there is CREATIVITY, there
is INSPIRATION, and there is POWER.