[HCCN] Strategy meeting on creating a more stable, sustainable population, April 11, Augusta

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Tue Mar 8 09:17:12 EST 2011

Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.

Population Matters!

A Planning and Action Strategy meeting on creating a more stable,
sustainable population in the US will be held on April 11, 2011, from
5-6:30 pm at the Maine Equal Justice Project Office, 126 Sewall St,
Augusta, ME (across from the Maine State Library and Cross State
Office Building)

Background: This group has met several times in the last year and
proposes to bring the problem of population growth into public
consciousness, in Maine and the US, which includes the problem of
high impact growth in the over-consuming nations like our own, and
high population growth in distressed under-consuming regions.
Population has been off the table for progressives for a generation,
but it is time to bring it back as a significant part of our
ecological foot print, second only to our destructive life styles.
Climate change is undermining our agricultural security and our
ability to support the projected 2-3 billion more people we may have,
conservatively, by 2050, and possibly also the almost 7 billion we
already have. Our projected population growth will make it very hard
to achieve goals of equity, peace and good lives for all people, and
may bring us to much worse conditions..

If you are concerned about overpopulation, in this country and
beyond, please come with your ideas, concerns and energy.
(Note: Immigration as a population issue is not a priority of this
group. It will not be a topic of discussion at the meeting)

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND THE MEETING, PLEASE CONTACT BEEDY OR
LARRY (below) BEFORE APRIL 11, SINCE WE WILL BE CREATING A STATEMENT
OF PURPOSE AND GOALS AT THE MEETING. THERE WILL LIKELY BE ONE OR MORE
PROPOSED WORDINGS FOR THE PURPOSE/GOALS THAT ATTENDEES SHOULD READ
BEFORE COMING.

For more information and for directions to the meeting, contact Beedy
Parker, (236-8732) beedyparker at gwi.net., or Larry Dansinger (525-7776)