[HCCN] Fwd: Climate Change Lecture at UM 31 March at 7 PM

Phppwp at aol.com Phppwp at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 08:18:15 EDT 2011

Please post this. thanks
Best
Pam Person

____________________________________
 From: kettis at myfairpoint.net
To: dedems at mainetalk.org
CC:  phppwp at aol.com, gkettis at myfairpoint.net
Sent: 3/28/2011 7:42:43 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Climate Change Lecture at UM 31 March at 7  PM

Please post this:

Climate  Change Speech at UM Orono on 31 March at 7 PM in Collins Center.
Free and open  to all.
The  leading scientist in Maine on climate change is Professor  Paul
Mayewski, Director of the Climate  Change Institute at the University of Maine,
Orono.  He is giving a public lecture on  Thursday 31 March in Collins Center.
  On this occasion he is going to give an update of where climate change
science stands today.  Democrats  are the great supporters of   scientists in
this area and defending their right, and duty, to tell us  what they think
is going on with our climate as a result of our life  style.  On the other
side is the  Republican Party who based on their links with the big polluters
in the US  want to discredit the science and the scientists.  They are
claiming that it is too early  to say that the climate change everyone can see
is connected to human  activities.  In order to discredit  climate scientists
the Republican majority in the House of Representatives  arranges hearings
to make their point.   It is therefore important that we are clear and loud
in our support for  the scientists that keep investigating these issues and
tell us what is going  on and what we should do about it.
Professor  Mayewski’s specialty is the study of ice cores from glaciers
such as  Antarctica, the Himalayas and Greenland.   These cores are retrieved
under harsh conditions by drilling on top of  the glaciers and brought home
to the scientific institutes where their  contents are studied. This way we
can know what was happening with the climate  hundreds of thousands years
back.   More information at _climatechange.umaine.edu/people/_
(http://climatechange.umaine.edu/people/) profile/paul_andrew_mayewski
Par  Kettis

=