[HCCN] Insurance demonstration in Augusta Wednesday

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Tue May 10 09:15:43 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Insult to Injury
Date: 	Tue, 10 May 2011 08:09:02 -0400
From: 	Jennie Pirkl - Maine People's Alliance
<jennie at mainepeoplesalliance.org>

Last week, 6,000 of you took action by signing our petition
expressing opposition to the Republican-backed LD1333, a bill that will
dramatically increase health insurance costs for older Mainers and those
who live in rural areas.

Despite the swell of grassroots opposition, the bill passed the Maine
House on a party line vote and Governor LePage continues to sing its
praises.

Adding insult to injury, on Friday Governor LePage just announced a
revised two-year budget proposal that--among other things--takes health
insurance away from 30,000 low-income people. At the same time, he is
continuing to propose $200 million dollars in tax cuts that favor
Maine's wealthiest.

We can't let these attacks on Maine families and Maine's entire
healthcare system go unanswered. The next big votes on LD1333 will
occur as soon as today, and the budget will be debated in the weeks
ahead, so it's time to turn up the heat.

If nearly 6,000 petition signatures and seventy people in the halls
wasn't enough to stop them last week, let's get even louder this week.
Please join MPA members and representatives of dozens of other
organizations for the "Maine Can Do Better" lobby day tomorrow
(Wednesday the 11th).

Please RSVP here
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHZCTUNQNDFBSk5fOHY1T1J5bUVNOWc6MQ#gid=0so
we know you're coming. We'll be meeting on the third floor of the
capitol building at 9:30am and packing the halls with citizen lobbyists
until noon.

Regardless of whether you can make it tomorrow, please take a moment to
call your Senator TODAY and tell them to vote "NO" on LD1333. You can
leave a message for your Senator at 1-800-423-6900 - look them up here
http://www.maine.gov/portal/government/edemocracy/lookup_voter_info.php.
The Senate will likely vote on the bill today, so every call matters.

Thank you to all of you who have taken action and given money already.
Together, we can make it clear that the majority of Mainers don't agree
with our Governor's extremist agenda.

Jennie Pirkl
MPA Health Care Organizer
jennie at mainepeoplesalliance.org

P.S. If you need a ride to Augusta on Wednesday, busses will be
transporting people from Sanford, Portland and Bangor. Please contact
lizzy at engagemaine.org for more information.