[HCCN] Dr. Strangelove, May 27 BlueHill

Judith Robbins jprobbins at myfairpoint.net
Sat May 14 19:47:58 EDT 2011

SAVE THE DATE  !!!

FRIDAY MAY 27
7:00 P.M.
BLUE HILL LIBRARY
PENINSULA PEACE & JUSTICE FILM SERIES

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

In 1964, Stanley Kubrick¹s black comedy Dr. Strangelove was so much ahead of
its time in subject, sensibility, and style that conservative critics like
Bosley Crowther, the dean of the New York critics, didn¹t know what to make
of the film, or how to evaluate it.

³The whole thing, while cleverly written and most skillfully directed and
played, tends to be a bit too contemptuous of our defense establishment for
my comfort and taste² - Bosley Crowther, New York Times

Crowther was not alone. A senior political reporter in Washington D.C.
complained: ³No Communist could dream of a more effective anti-American film
to spread abroad than this one. United States officials, including the
President, had better take a look at this one to see its effect on the
national interest.²

Fortunately, the public was more open-minded to Kubrick¹s black humor and
anti-nuclear message, and Dr. Strangelove became a commercial hit. By its
own standards, the Academy proved adventurous too, conferring on the film
four major Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, and
Best Actor (to Peter Sellers).

This is the trailer of Dr. Strangelove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXY3kuDvSU