[HCCN] Dr. Strangelove, Friday 7 pm, Blue Hill

Judith Robbins jprobbins at myfairpoint.net
Mon May 23 20:33:50 EDT 2011

FRIDAY MAY 27
7 PM
BLUE HILL LIBRARY
DR. STRANGELOVE, OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB

PENINSULA PEACE  & JUSTICE FILM SERIES

>From a review:

³There's not a false note in Dr. Strangelove. This 1964 black comedy about
the ultimate madness of nuclear conflict and the bloody folly of war is a
masterpiece, and the best Cold War movie ever made.

>From the suggestive credit sequence of a B-52 bomber and a KC-135 tanker
coupling for a romantic mid-air refueling to the deeply silly names for all
the characters, Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love
the Bomb is the funniest movie you'll ever see about the threat of global
nuclear devastation.

.... The movie accurately forecasted the economic collapse of the Soviet
Union under the weight of ever-increasing defense spending twenty years
before it actually happened.  But its sharpest insights are reserved for the
colossal egos of the men who see combat as an aphrodisiac, and discuss the
death of millions as "acceptable losses."

The 40 years of nuclear standoff that defined the Cold War may just be a
hiccup in history that we'll have to explain to our grandkids one day, but
Kubrick's darkly funny classic Dr. Strangelove will resonate as long as
there are soldiers, politicians, and power struggles.²