[HCCN] Today: Election Day Citizens United signatures planning meeting

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Sun Oct 28 08:32:57 EDT 2012

The letter announcing this meeting did not make it into the Islander
this week, though mention was made in Kate Jordan's Bar Harbor column.
There is also a meeting for the Blue Hill area. *

Maine Citizens for Clean Elections (MCCE) and national Public Citizen
have been working on a statewide signature campaign to prompt the Maine
legislature to demand that Congress act on a Constitutional amendment
overturning the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision.

The signature post-card gathering will be done on Election Day, to
ensure that all signatures are of registered Maine voters. These
signatures will provide a direct contact between voters and the
legislature. They will supplement the somewhat less direct contact
provided by the many Maine towns that have demanded legislative action
on a Constitutional amendment.

The previous town-government signature campaigns have proved enormously
non-partisanly popular. But of course, success requires having
volunteers to take a shirt at the polls. There will be a planning
meeting, with MCCE's project coordinator, to set this up:

     Today, 4PM
     Gary Friedmann's house
     7 Pine Street, Bar Harbor
     288-5323

We hope many of you will be able to make it. If you can't (or need
directions), but will be willing/able to spend a short time on Election
Day to help spare us from the insanity we've been watching this year,
please contact Gary.

We'll need as much help as we can get. Thank you.

Dick

* The Blue Hill meeting with the MCCE coordinator is also today:

     Blue Hill Library
     1:00 PM