[HCCN] Fwd: 'Drop Everything and Take Action': Activists Issue Clarion Call to Save the Internet

Judy_Robbins Judy at RobbinsAndRobbins.com
Sun Apr 27 07:53:35 EDT 2014

also, scroll down to read action items from Roots Action Team

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler proposes ending the open Internet.

Click here to tell him what you think.

 Share this action on Facebook
 Share this action on Twitter
The FCC is now moving to end net neutrality.

Send your outrage to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler by clicking here now!

Three months ago, Demand Progress and RootsAction joined with allied groups to deliver a petition with a million signatures to the FCC in support of net neutrality -- to keep the whole Internet available to everyone. Last night, the news broke that the FCC intends to blow us off and betray the principle of equal access to the Internet.

Tell Chairman Wheeler and the rest of the FCC that we will not stand for this.

When he received those 1 million signatures in January, the FCC chairman said: "One of the great things about what the Internet does and why it needs to stay open, it enables people to organize and express themselves. A million people? That's boffo."

Chairman Wheeler apparently thought a pat on the head would satisfy us. It certainly will not. We don’t want empty rhetoric -- we want a commitment to the democratic principle of net neutrality.

Yesterday, Wheeler, a former cable TV and cell phone industry lobbyist, revealed proposed new rules -- drafted by himself -- that would end net neutrality. Big corporations would pay for faster delivery of their content, making it difficult for smaller operations to compete.

Tell Chairman Wheeler and the rest of the Federal Communications Commission: we want action for democratic media, not platitudes as smokescreens for corporate domination of the Internet.

Ironically, last night's news of the FCC's impending action emerged on the same day that Brazil created the world's first Internet bill of rights -- protecting exactly the democratic principles that Chairman Wheeler and his FCC cohorts are on the verge of assaulting.

Click here to quickly communicate with the FCC -- then forward, post and share this urgent message far and wide.

The future of an open Internet depends on us.

Thank you!

-- Demand Progress and RootsAction.org

Background:
New York Times: In Policy Shift, FCC Will Allow a Web Fast Lane
CommonDreams: Brazil's 'Internet Bill of Rights' Victory for Web Freedom

www.RootsAction.org

Click here to unsubscribe and stop ALL email from RootsAction.