[HCCN] "March to End Violence: Solidarity for Racial Justice" on Sunday (Dec. 7, I assume) at 2:00 p.m. in Portland + Bangor event later on

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Fri Dec 5 10:53:22 EST 2014

Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.

The Portland Branch is working with the Portland Racial Justice
Congress, Southern Maine Workers Center, USM Voices of Difference and
Unity along with several other community-based organizations to hold a
"March to End Violence: Solidarity for Racial Justice"on Sunday at
2:00 p.m. in Portland.  This peaceful gathering for individuals and
families will begin at Monument Square marching down Congress Street
to High Street then on to Deering Oaks Park.

The March is for those who want to add their voices to those around
the country calling for an end to the proliferation of violence and
the need for a justice system that is acessible, fair and transparent
for all.  Time will be devoted to honoring the lives of Eric Garner,
Michael Brown and Tamir Rice in the manner in which their families
have called upon us to respect.

We are asking people to bring signs and banners.  We are also looking
for a few volunteers to serve as "parade marshals" to help protect the
safety of those marching in the street, and because of the anticipated
cold weather,  we are asking for donations to get coffee and/or hot
chocolate to pass out.

Prior to the actual march, in Monument Square, there will be a prayer
given followed by a number of speakers and possibly music once the
crowd reaches Deering Oaks.

All are welcome and encouraged to join us!

Contact: Rachel Talbot Ross, rtalbotross at gmail.com or Portland NAACP
(but don't have contact info for the chapter).

Also in Bangor from Diane Khiel: The Bangor branch of the NAACP will
be joining with Eastern Maine Community College in its community
dialogue with local law enforcement.  Stay tuned for details.