[HCCN] Fwd: Remembering Pete Seeger

Judy_Robbins Judy at RobbinsAndRobbins.com
Tue Jan 28 07:58:44 EST 2014

   Published on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 by The Nation
Remembering Pete Seeger, from Woody Guthrie to Occupy Wall Street

by Greg Mitchell
There's so much to express about one of my heroes, Pete Seeger, who passed away, apparently peacefully, in New York at the age of 94.   Despite his advance age, this still came as a shock, since he'd been out and about not long ago and scheduled for events not far from my home--he lived just up the river from me, that river being the Hudson.  Of course, I once boarded his famous sloop, the Clearwater.

Just last week I was trying to find a way to contact him.  The film I co-produced about the political influence of Beethoven's Ninth, Following the Ninth, is screening on February 27 up in Rhinebeck, very near his home in Beacon.   In the film, Billy Bragg sings his new right-on lyrics to the "Ode to Joy," something Pete had done long ago, and I wondered if I might coax Pete into the cold for a few minutes to sing a few bars after the screening.   Here's Pete singing it long ago:.

link to videos:   http://www.commondreams.org/view/2014/01/28