[HCCN] Fwd: this week: Congress moots Iraq/Syria AUMF...

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Tue Nov 11 18:14:26 EST 2014

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	this week: Congress moots Iraq/Syria AUMF...
Date: 	Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:58:14 -0800
From: 	Robert Naiman <noreply at list.moveon.org>

The U.S. military campaign against ISIS in Iraq and Syria is moving into
its fourth month. Congress has been reluctant to act on its obligation
to debate and vote on the new war - but that’s about to change.

Last week, President Obama announced he would seek a new authorization
for the use of military force (AUMF) in Iraq and Syria. But the AUMF the
Administration is considering proposing may go further than just
targeting ISIS and Al Qaeda. It may embroil us in another endless and
borderless war.

Congress will begin considering a new AUMF very soon, with hearings in
the House Armed Services Committee and Senate Foreign Relations
Committee expected this week. That means we need to speak up NOW in
order to influence the debate.

This week, a national coalition of concerned groups, including MoveOn,
has called for a week of action to stop another endless US war in the
Middle East. Here’s what you can do to join:

    1. *Sign and share* our petition supporting H. Con. Res. 114 (the
       Congressional Progressive Caucus resolution) [1] that calls for
       any AUMF to be narrow, prohibit US ground troops, and require
       reporting on diplomatic, political, and economic efforts to weaken
       ISIS:
       *http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/iraq-syria
        *
    2. If you’re on Twitter or Facebook, support our coalition’s
       Thunderclap that will send a message on your behalf on Thursday,
       November 13 at noon ET:
       *https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/18954-congress-end-endless-war*

Thanks for all you do to help limit and end wars using democracy and the
rule of law,

Megan Iorio and Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy