[HCCN] Senator King's position on GMO labeling

Dick Atlee atlee at dickatlee.com
Wed Oct 7 12:12:30 EDT 2015

I think Senator King (202-224-5344) is particularly important to contact.
Below is a response he sent to me on September 9 about HR 1599.

He says he's sympathetic to state labeling requirements, which one would
think would be enough to have him oppose The DARK Act (HR1599). But he or
his staff have apparently bought into a number of the false statements that
the industry promulgated in defeating labeling initiatives in CA, WA, and
CO, such as that GMOs will feed the world (which in reality has failed to
materialize over and over again), and that labeling will cost consumers a
lot of money (which simply hasn't happened where it has been done). He also
thinks the Monsanto-bought USDA will come up with a good plan for non-GMO
labeling, but which will preempt and destroy the existing mechanism.

So he sounds like he's teetering on the fence. Please give him a gentle shove.

Dick