[HCCN] 5/29 panel "Connecting Our Struggles: Corporations or Communities?"

Dick Atlee atlee at dickatlee.com
Mon May 20 13:52:49 EDT 2019

The following message was sent to the list from a non-member, but it seems
worth passing on:

Please share widely; fb event post:
https://www.facebook.com/events/460316431403564

Four panelists from across Maine will discuss Corporations and Communities
at Odds

Belfast, Maine - Four Mainers opposing harmful corporate practices in their
communities will discuss their work as part of a panel
discussion,"Connecting Our Struggles: Corporations or Communities?" on
Wednesday, May 29, from 6-8pm at the Belfast Free Library. This event is
free; all are welcome.

Nickie Sekera of Community Water Justice; Matt Wagner of No to NECEC
opposing the CMP NECEC Corridor; Ellie Daniels of Local Citizens for SMART
Growth (LCSG); and John Banks, Natural Resources Director for the Penobscot
Nation, will address the all-too-common tensions between corporate
interests in extracting profits from community and environmental resources
and a community’s desire to protect and preserve their identity and assets.

As people everywhere are grappling with the threats of catastrophic climate
disruption, and the challenges of dwindling resources and economic
pressures at state and local levels, the competitive push for economic
development frequently gives greater rights to industry while stifling
citizen voices, disregarding threats to the environment, and diminishing
democratic rights and processes within communities.

This timely panel discussion will be facilitated by Dawn Neptune Adams of
the Penobscot Nation, a water potector, activist, racial and social justice
consultant, and journalist.

The evening is co-sponsored by Local Citizens for SMART Growth and the
Peace and Justice Group of Waldo County.

LCSG works to support local regenerative and sustainable food systems. The
organization opposes large industrial-scale aquaculture and agriculture,
while supporting the restoration of healthy bio-diverse fisheries in
Penobscot Bay and striving to include citizen voice at the local level in
land-use and economic planning decisions.

The Peace and Justice Group of Waldo County works for peace and justice in
our community, our nation, and our world. It presents monthly films and
forums focusing on social, political, and racial justice, gender equality,
climate change, and peace.

For more information, please contact Jason Rawn at rawnjason at gmail.com