[HCCN] 5/29 panel "Connecting Our Struggles: Corporations or Communities?"

Kate Harris kate at earthlovers.org
Mon May 20 13:04:57 EDT 2019

Please share widely; fb event post:
https://www.facebook.com/events/460316431403564
<https://www.facebook.com/events/460316431403564/>

Four panelists from across Maine will discuss Corporations and
Communities at Odds

Belfast, Maine - Four Mainers opposing harmful corporate practices in
their communities will discuss their work as part of a panel
discussion,"Connecting Our Struggles: Corporations or Communities?" on
Wednesday, May 29, from 6-8pm at the Belfast Free Library. This event is
free; all are welcome.

Nickie Sekera of Community Water Justice; Matt Wagner of No to NECEC
opposing the CMP NECEC Corridor; Ellie Daniels of Local Citizens for
SMART Growth (LCSG); and John Banks, Natural Resources Director for the
Penobscot Nation, will address the all-too-common tensions between
corporate interests in extracting profits from community and
environmental resources and a community’s desire to protect and preserve
their identity and assets.

As people everywhere are grappling with the threats of catastrophic
climate disruption, and the challenges of dwindling resources and
economic pressures at state and local levels, the competitive push for
economic development frequently gives greater rights to industry while
stifling citizen voices, disregarding threats to the environment, and
diminishing democratic rights and processes within communities.

This timely panel discussion will be facilitated by Dawn Neptune Adams
of the Penobscot Nation, a water potector, activist, racial and social
justice consultant, and journalist.

The evening is co-sponsored by Local Citizens for SMART Growth and the
Peace and Justice Group of Waldo County.

LCSG works to support local regenerative and sustainable food systems.
The organization opposes large industrial-scale aquaculture and
agriculture, while supporting the restoration of healthy bio-diverse
fisheries in Penobscot Bay and striving to include citizen voice at the
local level in land-use and economic planning decisions.

The Peace and Justice Group of Waldo County works for peace and justice
in our community, our nation, and our world. It presents monthly films
and forums focusing on social, political, and racial justice, gender
equality, climate change, and peace.

For more information, please contact Jason Rawn at rawnjason at gmail.com