[HCCN] Town Hall on NECEC last night

Dick Atlee atlee at dickatlee.com
Sun Jun 14 10:45:19 EDT 2020

Last night there was a half-hour Zoom town hall meeting concerning the CMP
"Clean Energy" Corridor, involving a panel of four opponents of the project:

Former Sen. Tom Saviello
Current Sen. Russell Black
Darryl Wood
Sue Theberge

the latter two being local residents of the affected area who became
activists after understanding the consequences of the project.

They do a very nice job of covering the economic and environmental impacts,
the nonexistence of the claimed greenhouse gas reductions, the ongoing
attempts by the Spanish-controlled and Canadian companies involved to block
the November referendum vote on the project, and the campaign to get Matt
Dunlap to use a more informative language for that referendum text. It's
well worth the half-hour spent watching:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BVxPOJNpy0&t=142

Brian Hubbell earlier announced strong support for the bill on
saving-greenhouse-gases grounds. I don't know whether the subsequent
evidence that there will be no such savings, and possibly a negative
effect, has altered his view on that. I've been able to find no information
on Larry Luchini and Genevieve MacDonald regarding their views on the
topic. Larry is on the Veterans and Legal Affairs Committee, which had
hearings on March 11 on LD2136 to block foreign interference in the
referendum, But consideration was suspended on March 17 by the coronavirus
affair, with no committee action.

You can help out at https://www.nocmpcorridor.com/.