[HCCN] Music to soothe the soul of the present world

Dick Atlee atlee at dickatlee.com
Fri Mar 27 16:43:58 EDT 2020

Not strictly Hancock County, but it speaks to our present situation...

Despite the organization "Playing for Change" having been around for years,
I was unaware of them until today, when my brother sent me a link to their
(to me) almost unbelievable video rendition of The Band's song "The Weight"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weight). Having heard that song many
times, but never having seen it, I'd only been aware of it as "Take a load
off Fannie."

One of the things Playing for Change does in their "Songs Around the World"
collection is to record/film a host of individual highly-varied musicians
all over the world doing the same song, and then mix ALL those tracks
together to get the high points of each.

They did this with The Weight, as a 50th anniversary-of-the-song tribute to
Robbie Robertson, a member of The Band (and father of one of the producers)
who wrote most of the lyrics. The video was put up last September, long
before anyone had heard of a coronavirus. But it carries an implied message
in its music — that people are people all over the world — that really fits
a need at a time when we are being forced into physical isolation and
potential fear of each other. It was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

But they didn't stop there. They also put out a two-part "making of" video,
which was equally moving.

The song:
  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn25nZ12HEZq_w_m_1DmbbA

Making of:
  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7C6TlQC8Y8
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AR1x0v7n-4

The Channel:
  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn25nZ12HEZq_w_m_1DmbbA

The Lyrics (at least one version):
  https://genius.com/The-band-the-weight-lyrics

(and don't ask me to explain the lyrics :-) — though there is an
interesting piece on that subject in the second comment at
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/106061/)