From: “Doug Rawlings” <email@example.com>Date: June 5, 2009 11:39:57 AM EDTTo: <firstname.lastname@example.org>Subject: Death Toll of U.S. Service Members Passes 5,000 and the Hundreds of Thousands of Civilian War Victims Continues to RiseReply-To: email@example.com
Death Toll of
U.S. 5,000 and the Hundreds of Thousands of Civilian War Victims Continues to Rise Service Members Passes
According to ICasualties.
org and Anti-war.com over 5,000 U.S.service members have died in the occupations of Iraqand . I did a quick survey of the news and found little to mark the passing of these tragic numbers. Of course one finds even less to mark the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians. The only groups remembering one or both at this sad time are those working for peace. Afghanistan
How many times can we say that war will not work? That wars cause many more problems than they solve and that those who benefit the least from war sacrifice the most? How many times must we bear witness to what we have seen, heard, tasted and what many of our comrades have died in or, later, because of? We have done it ten thousand times ten thousand and we must continue until we abolish war. This is our charge. This is our duty. We will not flinch in the face of this daunting task. With the knowledge that our cause to preserve and protect life is just, knowing that war is a human made scourge that can only be ended by the hand of humanity or by our self imposed extinction. Through perseverance, tenacity, and commitment to each other, we will prevail. We will abolish war. There will be a day when the call for a veteran for peace will no longer be needed.
Thank you for your service to the cause of peace and justice.
Michael T. McPhearson
Veterans For Peace
peace: One step at a time.
This listserv is primarily a listing of appropriate announcements of coming events and actions, and relevant articles directed to members and interested individuals of Maine Veterans for Peace. Its content is monitored and updated by a single administrator — Doug Rawlings, Chapter Secretary. If you have an article or event that you would like posted to this listserv, you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. This listserv is not a running log of events and personal insights with an online audience, or a blog. If you wish to be removed from this list, please email email@example.com
- Fwd: [mainevfp] JOIN A MAINE VIGIL FOR RBG
- Voter registration drive for 9/22
- Fwd: Duck your heads in Brunswick!
- Good opportunity to learn about gene edited foods: Sept 9
- Where lies the hope? As it always has — with the people
- From the committee to stop the CMP Corridor — stop an end run around COVID
- Two healthcare events: virtual town hall tonight, MaineAllCare webinar Friday
- Stokely Carmichael
- Hancock County News Blog
- Hidden here at home, though maybe not anymore
- Community Response to Bigotry
- Town Hall on NECEC last night
- Great letter in the BDN about the CMP Corridor’s serious fire risk
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Screening the Movie: Winner Take All
- Fwd: Hancock Sheriff asks for Riot Gear