Film: Herman’s House
BLUE HILL – Peninsula Peace & Justice will screen Herman’s House on Friday, September 27 in Blue Hill. This 2012 movie documents the development of friendship and artistic collaboration between a Louisiana prisoner who has lived most of his life in solitary confinement and a visual artist who wondered what such a life could be. For over 40 years, Herman Wallace spent 23 hours a day in a six by nine foot cell — until this July 12, just seven days after this film was first released by HBO.
Wallace’s 1972 conviction for allegedly killing a guard at Angola prison has been widely contested. In 2001 Jackie Sumell, an art student in New York, wrote to ask what kind of house he might dream of, and his answer, “I don’t dream about no house,” inspired an art installation and an ethical mission that changed both their lives. The inmate’s serenity and wisdom shaped the resolution of the artist to grow into an advocate and an agent of change.
The 80-minute film by Angad Singh Bhalla will be shown at Blue Hill Library at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 27, followed by discussion. State representative and Blue Hill selectman Jim Schatz will present history about Maine’s own correctional system’s reforms in its policies about solitary, as well as issues involved in monitoring their implementation.
Free, including refreshments, and open to the public. For info, call 664-0742.
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change