From: “Kevin Martin, Peace Action” <firstname.lastname@example.org>Date: October 1, 2013 1:28:52 PM EDT
Action Alert Network: Take Action for Peace
Dear Judy and Peter,
How is it that the Radical Right can work itself into such a lather over Obamacare but seems content to allow the free-spending Pentagon to continue dispensing hundreds of billions of dollars each and every year without ever having to meet an audit? They don’t have the faintest clue as to where all that money has gone or where all the money they are prepared to send after it will go.
They know they can’t win. Plain and simple – they are in the minority. They claim the public doesn’t want the Affordable Care Act, but I don’t see it. It’s just the Tea Party making a lot of noise. So, unable to get their way, they would rather burn the house down than have to live in it with the rest of their family if they can’t get what they want. Is this how they think a representative democracy conducts its business? They must have been sleeping during civics class.
Write a Letter to the Editor and remind your neighbors that Obamacare isn’t the issue here – its budget priorities. We need a budget that mirrors our values. We are not lobbyists or corporations. We are people who live in communities that have real needs, not ideological concerns or special interests.
A shut down, even for a few days, generates anxiety for people who depend on essential government services. Forced furloughs put the burden on government workers and their families.
Letters to the Editor is the contemporary Town Square, the place where you can forward your opinion and invite your neighbors to stand with you. It is one of the most read sections of the newspaper. It’s simple, just follow the links and see for yourself.
Now, let’s be clear. Whether the government shutdown lasts a few days, or a few weeks, running around as if your hair is on fire isn’t how the matter will be resolved. In the end, I suspect poll numbers will speak loud and clear and this gaggle of overheated loud mouths will be forced to give way once the other members of their party see the writing on the wall. They will not slink away meekly having been schooled in Democracy 101, but perhaps they will lose enough juice so the rest of the Congress can get down to the business of passing a budget and increasing the debt limit.
And when they finally get down to business, we need to make sure Congress passes a budget that reflects our values.
Writing a Letter to the Editor is a simple and powerful way to get our jobs not war, budget priorities message to thousands of people in your community. And, that’s the debate we have to win.
Your letter will validate what many of your neighbors already suspect, that the Tea Party war on Obamacare is a smokescreen covering subsidies and tax forgiveness for large corporations and the super rich and all the money being wasted on endless war and gold-plated weapons.
Humbly for Peace,
P.S. S: Just like you and me, almost everyone in your community is watching this train wreck wondering how it will turn out. Help shape the debate. A short Letter to the Editor can have a big impact.
Write a letter to the Editor and help get our jobs not war, budget priorities message to thousands of people in your community.
It’s easy, just follow the links and see for yourself!
CONNECT TO US:
You are subscribed to Peace Action’s Action Alert Network. You can unsubscribe here.
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change