Public Interest Forum and Occupy Oxford Hills
February is: BLACK HISTORY MONTH
We offer two programs, each with a film showing and discussion. We’ll be at:
The Commons, 443 Main Street, Norway Maine
Occupy Oxford Hills, on Friday, February 14, 2014, at 6:30 PM, shows:
Slavery by Another Name
This 90 minute documentary tells the little known story of how a system of involuntary servitude affecting freed slaves and their children prevailed in the U.S. South for 80 years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. The result was thousands of early deaths and immense suffering. The film, based on a book of the same name authored by journalist Douglas Blackmon, is remarkable not least for giving voice to descendents of the oppressors.
The Public Interest Forum, at 7 PM Thursday, February 20, 2014, presents:
Free Angela and all Political Prisoners
The filmed story of Angela Davis’ high profile activism decades ago – She was a Communist and Black Panther – is riveting, but no less so than her trial in 1972 on a murder conspiracy charge. The documentary provides a glimpse into, as some would call it, a culture of resistance, one that dominated the era. Those in charge now surely fashion their prescriptions for us these days with anxieties of their predecessors reverberating in their minds. Angela Davis’ faculty appointment at the University of California Santa Cruz is that of “Distinguished Professor.” She is a scholar in the areas of women’s studies and the prison-industrial complex.
For more information on these presentations, please call Tom Whitney at (207) 743 -2183. We always have refreshments.
The Public Interest Forum meets monthly to explore political, social, and cultural issues bearing on democracy.
- The latest on proposed massive fish farm Belfast Bay
- Whoever you are, wherever you are
- Peninsula Peace & Justice notes
- Petition: Convert Bath Iron Works to building for life
- Fwd: BIW Advent vigils
- Correction on the Hannaford donations to ACTT
- Plastics: In December, Bar Harbor Hannaford will help A Climate to Thrive
- Dec 12 forum on Plastics Pollution and Plastic Bag Ordinances, in Ellsworth
- MCCE Webinar on Maine’s Legislative Process
- Fwd: Ranked Choice Voting Put to the Test in Maine
- Film: Hannah Arendt, Nove. 30 Blue Hill
- Fwd: Kathy Kelly on Yemen – Democracy Now! off-air interview Nov 14
- Fwd: Shetterly: Accountability, History, Identity
- Fwd: Reminder: Non-violence training in Damariscotta now Nov 10
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes