Public Interest Forum and Occupy Oxford Hills
February is: BLACK HISTORY MONTH
We offer two programs, each with a film showing and discussion. We’ll be at:
The Commons, 443 Main Street, Norway Maine
Occupy Oxford Hills, on Friday, February 14, 2014, at 6:30 PM, shows:
Slavery by Another Name
This 90 minute documentary tells the little known story of how a system of involuntary servitude affecting freed slaves and their children prevailed in the U.S. South for 80 years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. The result was thousands of early deaths and immense suffering. The film, based on a book of the same name authored by journalist Douglas Blackmon, is remarkable not least for giving voice to descendents of the oppressors.
The Public Interest Forum, at 7 PM Thursday, February 20, 2014, presents:
Free Angela and all Political Prisoners
The filmed story of Angela Davis’ high profile activism decades ago – She was a Communist and Black Panther – is riveting, but no less so than her trial in 1972 on a murder conspiracy charge. The documentary provides a glimpse into, as some would call it, a culture of resistance, one that dominated the era. Those in charge now surely fashion their prescriptions for us these days with anxieties of their predecessors reverberating in their minds. Angela Davis’ faculty appointment at the University of California Santa Cruz is that of “Distinguished Professor.” She is a scholar in the areas of women’s studies and the prison-industrial complex.
For more information on these presentations, please call Tom Whitney at (207) 743 -2183. We always have refreshments.
The Public Interest Forum meets monthly to explore political, social, and cultural issues bearing on democracy.
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change