From: “Dan – VFP” <email@example.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:54 AM
New stamp to feature image by Maine artist Robert Shetterly
Courtesy of the United States Postal Service
On January 31, the United States Postal Service will unveil a new postage stamp honoring Shirley Chisholm. The image used for the stamp is Maine artist Robert Shetterly’s portrait, which is part of the Americans Who Tell the Truth series.
The image used for the stamp is Robert Shetterly’s portrait, which is part of the Americans Who Tell the Truth series. Shetterly, a Maine artist, educator and writer, has been painting portraits of “Americans Who Tell The Truth” for about 12 years. In that time, he’s captured nearly 200 activists, historic figures, freedom fighters and others he says exemplify courage in the face of injustice.
Chisholm was elected to Congress, and in 1972 she became the first African American woman and only the second woman to seek the presidential nomination of a major political party.
Hers will be the 37th stamp in the USPS Black Heritage Series, which was begun in 1978.
The First-Day-Of-Issue Ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. at Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, NY. Deputy Postmaster General Ronald Stroman will preside at the unveiling. Shetterly will attend the event to sign collectors’ stamps and other memorabilia.
This listserv is primarily a listing of appropriate announcements of coming events and actions, and relevant articles directed to members and interested individuals of Maine Veterans for Peace. Its content is monitored and updated by administrators. If you have an article or event that you would like posted to this listserv, you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. This listserv is not a running log of events and personal insights with an online audience, or a blog. If you wish to be removed from this list, please email email@example.com
- Whoever you are, wherever you are
- Peninsula Peace & Justice notes
- Petition: Convert Bath Iron Works to building for life
- Fwd: BIW Advent vigils
- Correction on the Hannaford donations to ACTT
- Plastics: In December, Bar Harbor Hannaford will help A Climate to Thrive
- Dec 12 forum on Plastics Pollution and Plastic Bag Ordinances, in Ellsworth
- MCCE Webinar on Maine’s Legislative Process
- Fwd: Ranked Choice Voting Put to the Test in Maine
- Film: Hannah Arendt, Nove. 30 Blue Hill
- Fwd: Kathy Kelly on Yemen – Democracy Now! off-air interview Nov 14
- Fwd: Shetterly: Accountability, History, Identity
- Fwd: Reminder: Non-violence training in Damariscotta now Nov 10
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Art Exhibit "The Essence of Things" at RFS