From: RootsAction Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>Date: March 1, 2013 10:08:05 AM ESTSubject: Thank Bradley ManningReply-To: email@example.com
Share this action on Facebook
Bradley Manning, on Thursday, pleaded guilty to actions that fulfilled his moral obligations, and for which he has our gratitude.
Manning revealed that he had contacted theWashington Post and the New York Times, and got nowhere, before deciding to give his news to WikiLeaks, from which it would ultimately reach those two newspapers and many more.
Manning said he released only information that he was certain would not harm the United States. There’s no evidence he was wrong.
He released evidence of crimes, as anyone able to do should do. Manning did so out of an actual belief in democracy (as distinct from “democracy” as a justification for bombings).
“We were obsessed with capturing and killing human targets on lists and ignoring goals and missions,” Manning said on Thursday of his time in Iraq with the U.S. Army. “I believed if the public, particularly the American public, could see this it could spark a debate on the military and our foreign policy in general as it applied to Iraq and Afghanistan. It might cause society to reconsider the need to engage in counter terrorism while ignoring the human situation of the people we engaged with every day.”
Please forward this email widely to like-minded friends.
— The RootsAction.org team
P.S. Our small staff is supported by contributions from people like you; your donations are greatly appreciated.
P.P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, and many others.
CommonDreams: Before Wikileaks, Leaked Docs Offered to NYT, WaPo
AFP: WikiLeaks: Manning Wanted to ‘Spark Debate’ on War
Alexa O’Brien: Pfc. Bradley E. Manning’s Statement for the Providence Inquiry
Image includes detail of portrait by Robert Shetterly from his series Americans Who Tell the Truth.
Click here to unsubscribe and stop ALL email from RootsAction.
To modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit your subscription management page at: http://hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6503/profile/
- Fwd: [mainevfp] JOIN A MAINE VIGIL FOR RBG
- Voter registration drive for 9/22
- Fwd: Duck your heads in Brunswick!
- Good opportunity to learn about gene edited foods: Sept 9
- Where lies the hope? As it always has — with the people
- From the committee to stop the CMP Corridor — stop an end run around COVID
- Two healthcare events: virtual town hall tonight, MaineAllCare webinar Friday
- Stokely Carmichael
- Hancock County News Blog
- Hidden here at home, though maybe not anymore
- Community Response to Bigotry
- Town Hall on NECEC last night
- Great letter in the BDN about the CMP Corridor’s serious fire risk
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Screening the Movie: Winner Take All
- Fwd: Hancock Sheriff asks for Riot Gear