From: Veterans For Peace <email@example.com>Date: August 2, 2013 5:30:55 PM EDTSubject: VFP eNews: Elliott Adams and Tarak Kauff Will End Their Fasts on Sun, Aug 4th & MorReply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, August 2, 2013
Please join Elliott and Tarak in breaking their fast on Sunday, August 4, 2013. Those near Albany are invited to join them at 7:15 PM at the Masjid As-Salam Mosque, 280 Central Avenue, Albany, NY for a very special event. The entire community is invited to enjoy an iftar meal with the Muslim Community.
A 2 minute video invitation featuring Elliott Adams on day 72 of his hunger strike to close Guantanamo.
Over 90,000 people have signed. With help from you and a few of your friends, we can raise the total to 100,000. Please click here to sign now! Tell your friends!
What Can Veterans Do to Affect his Sentence?
We can continue to be present in the courtroom at Fort Meade. Bradley’s lawyer David Coombs has told supporters repeatedly that their presence in the courtroom gives both he and Bradley a huge moral boost. Plus, we are witnesses to history.
Most of us live far away from Ft. Meade and may not be able to travel. We should continue all the community outreach and events in support of Bradley.
Bradley Manning Action Update submitted by Gerry Condon
Seventeen Members of the European Union have written an open letter to President Obama and US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel calling for Bradley Manning to be freed. <Press Release>
Members of the first overseas chapter of Veterans For Peace, the Hoa Binh (Peace) Chapter 160, of American vets living in Viet Nam, are inviting up to 20 veterans and non-vet activists and spouses to come as a group in the Spring for an insider’s 2-week tour of Viet Nam.
Email Nadya @ email@example.com for more information.
We’re in the process of updating the national website and need to know if chapters are active or inactive. We also need to verify urls for chapter websites.
Save the Date: VFP Annual Tour to Vietnam – Mar 29 to Apr 12, 2014
Online registration ends today. Registration will reopen in Madison on Wed, Aug 7 @ Noon on the 2nd floor of the Madison Concourse and Governance Hotel.
There’s still time to sign up to read your poetry. The poetry reading event will be held
Wed, Aug 8 – 8:00pm – 10:30pm
Room of One’s Own Bookstore
315 W. Gorham Street
There is a 10 minute limit and the focus of your piece should be on the complexity of attaining peace in a world torn apart by war, or directly address the costs of war, sign up today. Deadline for submitting your name has been extended until Aug 6.
You can use these originals to make copies or contact the national office to order multiple copies.
May – Oct, 2013 – Fearless Summer – action on the environment.
Aug 7 – 11, 2013 – VFP National Convention in Madison, WI
Sep 21 – International Day of Peace
Sep 22 – Submission Deadline for Fall Edition of VFP Newspaper
Nov 11 – Armistice Day
Did you know? VFP national office will be closed Aug 7-11 during the convention.
Veterans For Peace appreciates your tax-exempt donations.
We also encourage you to join our ranks.
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change