From: “Kyle King, Fast-Food Worker” <email@example.com>Date: September 9, 2013 11:39:11 AM EDTTo: Larry Dansinger <firstname.lastname@example.org>Subject: VIDEO: Boston Workers on Strike
My name is Kyle King; I’m 45 years old, and for the better part of a decade I’ve been employed at Burger King as a cashier. I make $8.15 an hour, and it just isn’t enough to make ends meet.
At that wage, I can’t even afford to pay rent — and if it weren’t for my family, I wouldn’t have a place to live. I can tell you it is nearly impossible to survive on the wages that Burger King pays me and my co-workers.
That’s why fast-food workers in Boston and across the country went on strike last week — to let our employers know that it’s time they pay us a living wage. Paychecks need to be able to keep up with rising costs so that low-wage workers don’t have to struggle just to afford the basics.
August 29 was an amazing day of action. Workers joined community members and elected officials in strike lines throughout the city, ending in a rally on Boston Common with U.S. Senator Ed Markey. Check out the video from the Boston strike:
The day was incredible, but we can’t let it end there. We need to do everything we can to raise wages and have better working conditions for fast food workers. We’re up against some rich and powerful corporations, but I believe we can win if we stick together.
For the first time, I felt like I had a voice to share the stories of workers just like me. Let’s make sure that message is heard loud and clear even after the strike lines come down.
150 Mt Vernon St, Dorchester, MA 02125
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change
- Report on Occupied Palestine, Blue Hill June 21