From: corresponding signal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This past weekend, the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) marched on Wendy’s Headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. This is the start of their 10 day “Now is the Time” tour from Ohio to Florida, asking Wendy’s and southern grocery chain, Publix, to pay a penny more per pound for tomatoes, and to buy from farms that ensure labor rights are observed. The CIW is a coalition of famworkers in Florida who pick the nation’s winter tomato crop.
On Saturday, March 15th, the Community Union of Ellsworth invites you to come out to a solidarity rally against low wages in the farm fields, and restaurants, at the Wendy’s in Ellsworth. (see below and attached)
WENDY, SPARE a PENNY!
For decades, Florida farmworkers have faced sub-poverty wages, wage theft, sexual harassment, physical abuse and more. But today, an historic partnership among farmworkers, Florida tomato growers, and major food companies is building a new tomato industry that respects the rights of farmworkers: the Fair Food Program.
The Fair Food Program consists of a wage increase supported by the additional penny-a-pound paid by corporate buyers of Florida tomatoes, and a human-rights-based Code of Conduct, a verifiable and sustainable approach to ending abuse and ensuring better wages and work conditions for Florida tomato pickers.
Of the five giant fast food chains – McDonald’s, Subway, Burger King, Taco Bell, and Wendy’s – Wendy’s is the only one refusing to join the Fair Food Program.
Join us on
March 15 – Saturday – 11:00 a.m.
at Ellsworth Wendy’s on High St.
We’ll be telling Wendy’s and everyone that
LOW PAY IS NOT OK!
for Fast Food Workers or Farm Workers
Sponsor: Community Union of Ellsworth (find us on Facebook)
Rally info: 667-4877. Info on Coalition of Immokalee Workers’ Fair Food Program: www.ciw-online.org
Photos by CIW and allies, Now is the Time tour in Ohio and TN
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change