Please pass along to others in your group or area. Thanks.
From: Maine Equal Justice <email@example.com>Date: March 29, 2012 8:05:19 PM EDTTo: firstname.lastname@example.orgSubject: It’s time Maine people put a stop to this!Reply-To: email@example.com
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
It’s time Maine people put a stop to this.Monday, April 2nd at 10:00 a.m., Maine Equal Justice and our allies are sponsoring a Day of Action in Augusta.It’s time to tell our legislators to stand with Maine citizens to stop the disastrous hidden deals taking place that will make sweeping changes at the 11th hour of the legislative session.
It’s time for Maine people to stop the out of state campaigns against workers, the middle class and the poor, the environment, and stop the war on women.
Instead of letting Maine focus on sustainable jobs, out of state corporate interests and extremists are pushing an agenda that has nothing to do with our common interests as a state.
As the Maine Legislature winds-down it’s work for the year, an unprecedented slew of dangerous and irresponsible bills are being rammed-through the process in a desperate attempt to beat the clock.
Here’s just a few of the bills under consideration that have been introduced at the last minute, not given a chance for normal public scrutiny, or are being rushed to votes:
- Siphoning funding from public education to fund private schools;
- Opening Maine up to large-scale, toxic, open-pit mining;
- Weakening the state’s ability to meet the needs of seniors and people with mental illness by rushing a major departmental restructuring;
- Crippling the ability of Maine towns and cities to keep their poorest citizens housed and fed;
- Stripping the ability of certain workers to collectively bargain;
- Undermining systems that protect the unemployed and injured workers;
- Giving away millions of dollars to Maine’s wealthiest while creating a permanent state budget crisis;
- Failing to prepare Maine for the benefits of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare); and
- Keeping government documents secret from Maine citizens.Please stand with Maine people and with the Maine lawmakers working together against this dangerous agenda and flawed process.
Please join us!
Monday, April 2, 201210:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.Cross Cafe, Cross State Office Building (adjacent to the State House)
Sponsoring organizations:Consumers for Affordable Health Care
Homeless Voices for Justice
Maine Center for Economic Policy
Maine Education Association
Maine Equal Justice Partners
Maine People’s Alliance
Maine State Employees Association – SEIU Local 1989 Maine Women’s Lobby
National Association of Social Workers – Maine ChapterNatural Resources Council of MainePreble Street
If you have questions, call MEJP at 1-866-626-7059.
Maine Equal Justice Partners, Inc. | 126 Sewall Street | Augusta | ME | 04330