From: steve burke <email@example.com>
CODEPINK co-founder Medea Benjamin speaking in MaineJuly 11-17 with new book on drone warfarePORTLAND– Increasing alarm is widespread among activists and intellectuals nationwide about the use of killer drones in modern warfare. Medea Benjamin will address this in a presentation of her new book Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control, a comprehensive look at how drones are being used to assassinate people around the world, the legal and moral implications, and how to build a movement to rein in the drones. It also looks at how drones are coming to local police departments, and what that means for our privacy rights.
“In this remarkably cogent and carefully researched book, Medea Benjamin makes it clear that drones are not just another high-tech military trinket,” Barbara Ehrenreich, author of Nickel and Dimed, wrote about the book. “Drone Warfare sketches out the nightmare possibilities posed by this insane proliferation.”
Drone Warfare explores the growing menace of robotic warfare, with an extensive analysis of who is producing the drones, where they are being used, who “pilots” these unmanned planes, who are the victims and what are the legal and moral implications. In vivid, readable style, the book also looks at what activists, lawyers and scientists are doing to ground the drones, and ways to move forward.In reality, writes Benjamin, the assassinations we are carrying out via drones will come back to haunt us when others start doing the same thing-to us.Wednesday July 11 – Portland 6:30-7:30PMUniv.of Southern Maine[USM] Book Store35 Bedford St.- PortlandContact Person: Pat TaubThursday July 12 – Brunswick – 7PMCurtis Memorial Library – Morrell RoomContact Person: Bruce GagnonFriday July 13 – Midcoast Venues
The Camden Public Library – 2:30 to 4PM
55 Main Street – Camden
Midcoast Friends Meeting – 7 to 9PM
77 Belvedere Road – Damariscotta
Contact Person: Steve Burke
Saturday July 14 – Belfast
1PM We’re thinking of doing interviews with local press
4pm-9 pm The event:
- 4 pm Event begins with snacks & wine (donated by a sponsor or two, hopefully) – outdoors, if it isn’t raining, in front of the Shrine Club. Weather permitting, tables will be set up on front lawn with sponsors literature and volunteers. Live music will be playing and possibly a puppet show or other events will be taking place. Art works inspired by CODE PINK or Medea Benjamin’s book will be inside for people to view.
- 4:30 pm we move inside where Medea Benjamin will begin a 1/2 hour talk, followed by 1/2 hour Q & A / comments.
- 5:30 pm Medea Benjamin signs books, while volunteers set out the potluck supper buffet.
- 6:00 pm, we eat, chat, and digest the food brought from participants – local food emphasis? Live music in background.
- 7:00 pm, community theatrical performance directed by Larraine Brown (on CODE PINK-inspired theme or Medea Benjamin’s book), followed by other possible skits, performances.
- After the performances, folks wander outside in the front of the Shrine Hall, take a walk through the City bayside Park, and generally hang out together while clean-up crew launches into washing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen
Contact Person:Jennifer Hill
Sunday July 15 – Monday July 16
Mini Vaca For Medea
Tuesday July 17 – Ellsworth 6:30PM
Ellsworth City Hall, 1 City hall Plaza
6:30PM – Gather for light refreshments and networking.
7PM – Medea’s program/presentation, including audience Q&A, begins , after which Medea will autograph her book, “Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control.”
Contact Person: Beth Adams
- Music to soothe the soul of the present world
- Fwd: Community Mask, 2000 or bust
- Monday March 23
- Sunday 6:24 p.m.
- Fwd: Duration of the virus on various surfaces and in an aerosol
- Good morning
- ST PATRICK’S DAY STORIES & LEGENDS TO BE PUBLISHED IN ELLSWORTH AMERICAN
- Rachel Corrie, we remember
- Peninsula Peace and Justice notes
- En JOY
- Fwd: Action Alert: Request Relief for Low-Income People amid Covid-19!
- Fwd: [Test] LWV-Downeast Monthly Meetings
- Fwd: WASH YOUR HANDS — THE VIRUS
- CUBA EVENTS Maine – Save the dates