(please forward widely)
Take the Peace Train to Chicago
We have worked out a 10% discount with AMTRAK for anyone traveling to the Chicago demonstration on May 20. You can use this discount to travel to and from Chicago on an AMTRAK train from anywhere in the country during the period from May 17 to May 23. To get the special rate, you need to make a reservation and give them the “Convention fare code number of X50K-949.” If they ask you what organization you are from, it is UNAC. AMTRAK fares go up the closer it gets to the day of departure. So, to get the lowest fare, it is best to reserve a seat as soon as possible. There are other discounts for seniors and youth that may be cheaper.
President Obama calls for continued war in Afghanistan through 2014 and beyondJoin the Protest against NATO & the G8 in Chicago on May 20As occupiers, workers and peace activists were taking to the streets for the most wide-spread May Day actions in the United States in decades, President Obama made a surprise visit to Afghanistan where he signed an agreement with Afghan President Hamid Karzi to keep U.S. troops in the country till 2014 and beyond. The agreement was signed right before the NATO summit to take place in Chicago on May 20 and 21. The war on Afghanistan is officially a NATO war, so the agreement signaled to the 28 NATO member countries that, despite the international outcry against the Afghanistan War, NATO will be at war for years to come.The best answer that we can give to this declaration of continued war is to join the protests against the NATO and G8 summits in Chicago on May 20. There will also be a People’s Summit on May 12 and 13 at the Occupy Chicago headquarters where an alternative agenda to the NATO and G8 agenda of war and poverty will be discussed.Join us in Chicago to say no to NATO and the G8.May 12-13: The People’s Summit will convene at Occupy Chicago Headquarters, 500 W. Cermak in Chicago. Registration is free! Click here for registration, workshop information, and keynote speakers.
May 20: March and Rally to Protest NATO, starting at noon at Petrillo Bandshell. The Iraq Veteran’s Against the War (IVAW) will be marching with us in solidarity. At the end of the march, within sight and sound of McCormick Place, members of IVAW will conduct the closing ceremony where they will return their medals to NATO. It will be a moving event, and not to be missed.
- Fwd: [mainevfp] JOIN A MAINE VIGIL FOR RBG
- Voter registration drive for 9/22
- Fwd: Duck your heads in Brunswick!
- Good opportunity to learn about gene edited foods: Sept 9
- Where lies the hope? As it always has — with the people
- From the committee to stop the CMP Corridor — stop an end run around COVID
- Two healthcare events: virtual town hall tonight, MaineAllCare webinar Friday
- Stokely Carmichael
- Hancock County News Blog
- Hidden here at home, though maybe not anymore
- Community Response to Bigotry
- Town Hall on NECEC last night
- Great letter in the BDN about the CMP Corridor’s serious fire risk
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Screening the Movie: Winner Take All
- Fwd: Hancock Sheriff asks for Riot Gear