For those who want to support the Darfur community in Maine and pressure the US government to oppose any continuation of policies that hurt the people of Darfur. There is NO cost for the bus trip to Washington, DC. Even if you decide after today that yo might want to “get on the bus,” contact El Fadel to see if there is room.
Subject: Sat. July 23rd Bus to National Peace in Sudan Rally in DC
— On Thu, 6/16/11, El- Fadel Arbab <email@example.com> wrote:
Fur Cultural Revival (part of the Darfur Community Center of Maine)
The Meg Perry Center
644 Congress Street
Portland, Maine 04101
Dear Sudanese Community Members and Friends of Sudan:
On Saturday, July 23, 2011, Fur Cultural Revival will be hosting a national Peace in Sudan rally at The White House in Washington, DC. Members of The Sudanese diaspora and activists are requested to attend this rally to voice support for ending the crisis in Sudan.
We will gather together to raise our voices and demand action to bring about these changes in Sudan
1) A no-fly zone must be created to prevent the aerial bombing of innocent civilians.
2) Ensure that the CPA is fully implemented as in the agreement, including the Abyei and Nuba Mountains popular consultation.
3) End the blockade of the aid agencies and attacks against humanitarian workers.
4) End the Sudanese government’s plans to dismantle the IDP camps and an end to direct attacks against IDP.
5) End the recent bombings and the systematic rape of women and girls.
6) End the systematic arrest and detention of civil society leaders and Human Rights activists.
7) Accountability for the crime of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity by members of The Government of Sudan, those who are currently wanted by The International Criminal Courts.
8) To call on the US Congress and the administration to fulfill its promise to end the Genocide in Darfur.
Sudan Action Now, Genocide Intervention Network, Save Darfur Coalition, and The Enough Project have provided money for transportation to Washington, DC for this rally. We will have buses leaving from Portland, Maine on Friday, July 22 at approximately 7:00 PM (we will have a specific departure time soon). We urge your participation to make this rally a success. We have the largest organized Sudanese refugee population in The United States here in Southern Maine. We need to have a large turnout from Maine to make this a success. Let’s make our voices heard.
We would like to hear from you by Monday, June 20. Please call us to confirm at 207-221-5197 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know the names of the people going to the rally. Together we can end this genocide.
El Fadel Arbab
644 Congress St.
Portland, ME 04101