Contact (for Peninsula Peace and Justice): Steve Benson, 374 2357, firstname.lastname@example.org
— — —
STREEP PLAYS “MOTHER COURAGE,” BILL RAITEN RESPONDS
Blue Hill, ME: At 7:00 p.m. on Friday, March 25, “Theater of War,” will be screened in the Howard Room of the Blue Hill Public Library, sponsored by Peninsula Peace and Justice. Admission is free.
“Theater Of War” focuses on a recent New York production of German playwright Bertolt Brecht’s only play written in the United States, “Mother Courage.” Newly translated by Tony Kushner, this production starred Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline, and was directed by George C. Wolfe. The film shows the production through various stages of rehearsal, along with reflections from Streep, Wolfe, Kushner, novelist Jay Cantor, and others.
When he wrote “Mother Courage,” Brecht was a political refugee from the Third Reich. The film illuminates the play, which is set in the Thirty Years’ War, as a commentary on the challenges and costs of civilians’ life in wartime. In the course of explaining Brecht’s ideological and political commitments and the play’s relation to social history, the film includes footage of Brecht’s family life in exile and his interrogation by the House Un-American Activities Committee.
After the film, Bill Raiten, Artistic Director of the New Surry Theatre, will lead discussion about whether and how theater can respond to war or change how the world works.
For more information, contact Steve Benson at 374-2357.
- Whoever you are, wherever you are
- Peninsula Peace & Justice notes
- Petition: Convert Bath Iron Works to building for life
- Fwd: BIW Advent vigils
- Correction on the Hannaford donations to ACTT
- Plastics: In December, Bar Harbor Hannaford will help A Climate to Thrive
- Dec 12 forum on Plastics Pollution and Plastic Bag Ordinances, in Ellsworth
- MCCE Webinar on Maine’s Legislative Process
- Fwd: Ranked Choice Voting Put to the Test in Maine
- Film: Hannah Arendt, Nove. 30 Blue Hill
- Fwd: Kathy Kelly on Yemen – Democracy Now! off-air interview Nov 14
- Fwd: Shetterly: Accountability, History, Identity
- Fwd: Reminder: Non-violence training in Damariscotta now Nov 10
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Art Exhibit "The Essence of Things" at RFS