People: Save these dates! Maine
Vinie Burrows comes to
January 17 – 20. The renowned actress and political activist honors Martin Luther King and those resisting racial oppression. She brings a message of support for the Cuban five political prisoners. Maine
Monday, January 17, 2010.
Lewiston, : afternoon workshops as part of Martin Luther King Day events. Bates College
, Frontier Café, Brunswick 14 Maine St., 7 PM: A program of poetry, prose, and song recalling the Black experience- discussion follows. Ms. Burrows will reflect on current peace and human rights work.
Tuesday, January 18, 2010.
Lewiston, Bates College, : 12:30 PM, short program. Olin Arts Center
Farmington, Nordica Auditorium, Merrill Hall, University of Maine, 7 PM: Presentation of “Walk Together Children,” a program drawing upon slave narratives and the works of Langton Hughes, Richard Wright, and Ishmael Reed, and others.
Wednesday, January 19, 2010.
Portland, Glickman Library (seventh floor), , Universityof Southern Maine 314 Forest Ave, Portland, 7 PM: Reception marking the exhibition (on fifth floor) of prison paintings by Antonio Guerrero. Vinie Burrows will speak, dedicating the evening to the late Rev. Lucius Walker. She calls for Antonio’s freedom and that of four other Cuban men serving unjust sentences in prisons. They defended their homeland against terrorism from the U.S. . United States
Thursday, January 20, 2010.
Lewiston, , Schaeffer Theater, 7 PM: Program of performance, recitations, and song recalling lives of oppressed Africans and African Americans, especially women, fighting for dignity and rights. Bates College
Ms. Burrows’ appearances in
are arranged by the Maine Peace Council and Let Cuba Live. For more information, call (207) 743-2183. Maine
This listserv is primarily a listing of appropriate announcements of coming events and actions, and relevant articles directed to members and interested individuals of Maine Veterans for Peace. Its content is monitored and updated by a single administrator — Doug Rawlings, Chapter Secretary. If you have an article or event that you would like posted to this listserv, you can email him at email@example.com for consideration. This listserv is not a running log of events and personal insights with an online audience, or a blog. If you wish to be removed from this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fwd: Democracy Forum: Listen Friday, October 16
- Fwd: [mainevfp] JOIN A MAINE VIGIL FOR RBG
- Voter registration drive for 9/22
- Fwd: Duck your heads in Brunswick!
- Good opportunity to learn about gene edited foods: Sept 9
- Where lies the hope? As it always has — with the people
- From the committee to stop the CMP Corridor — stop an end run around COVID
- Two healthcare events: virtual town hall tonight, MaineAllCare webinar Friday
- Stokely Carmichael
- Hancock County News Blog
- Hidden here at home, though maybe not anymore
- Community Response to Bigotry
- Town Hall on NECEC last night
- Great letter in the BDN about the CMP Corridor’s serious fire risk
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Screening the Movie: Winner Take All