[HCCN] Saving MPBN Downeast -- by e-mail before Thursday 2/12

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Tue Feb 10 18:39:49 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Katherine Cassidy <katherine.cassidy at gmail.com>
To: katherine.cassidy at gmail.com
Sent: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 9:32 am
Subject: Saving MPBN Downeast -- by e-mail

Everyone -

Bob Judd of Lubec has kindly written the following note about - how we
can have our voices heard in Augusta in advance of the MPBN hearing on
Thursday, Feb. 12.  E-mail is the way to communicate with the
committee holding the hearing. Please take note of Bob's advice,
below.

EASY & BEST WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR PROTEST ABOUT MPBN'S DECISION TO CUT
OFF ALL PUBLIC RADIO AND TV BROADCASTING IN DOWNEAST MAINE –

All you need to do is send one e-mail … but you need to do it
according to the following steps:

# 1 – address your e-mail to david.desjardins at legislature.maine.gov

# 2 – in the SUBJECT line, type the following …
SUPPORT FOR LD 266 (RAYE)/CIRCULATE TO ALL COMMITTEE MEMBERS

(Note: Mr. Desjardins, the committee consultant, has agreed to
distribute the e-mails to each of the 13 members of the Education and
Cultural Affairs Committee who will vote on the bill. This gives your
comments full exposure while saving a lot of work.)

# 3 – In the message section, use your own words to say why public
radio and TV are important to you and our community and why MPBN's plan
to amputate our corner of the state is unacceptable and unfair. Make it
clear that Kevin Raye's bill ensures that all of the people of the state
are treated equally, as they should be.

You can write as much as you want, but a paragraph or two are usually
adequate.

# 4 – Add your name and the name of your Downeast community, then SEND.

Two important items to keep in mind … First, send your e-mail as soon
as you can. Second, please forward these instructions right away to
your e-mail network of family and friends and encourage them to
participate. We need a big response to get the outcome we want.

When Maine Public Broadcasting was created by the Legislature in 1992,
this was the deal:

"The Legislature intends that the State support and provide funding
(to MPBN) … to meet the costs of delivering broadcast services so that
ALL of the people of the state may share EQUITABLY in the advantages
of public broadcasting … REGARDLESS OF GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION."
Ask yourself, does MPBN's decision to throw us overboard honor the
public responsibilities it assumes as a recipient of taxpayer20dollars?
Does it have the right to make us second-class citizens?