[HCCN] fw To Gaza with Love

Judy Robbins jrobbins at mainecoastmail.com
Wed Feb 18 19:18:56 EST 2009

Published on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 by CommonDreams.org
To Gaza, With Love
by Medea Benjamin
When I traveled to Gaza last week, everywhere I went, a photo haunted
me. I saw it in a brochure called "Gaza will not die" that Hamas
gives out to visitors at the border crossing. A poster-sized version
was posted outside a makeshift memorial at the Shifa Hospital in Gaza
City. And now that I am back home, the image comes to me when I look
at children playing in the park, when I glance at the school across
the street, when I go to sleep at night.

It is a photo of a young Palestinian girl who is literally buried
alive in the rubble from a bomb blast, with just her head protruding
from the ruins. Her eyes are closed, her mouth partially open, as if
she were in a deep sleep. Dried blood covers her lips, her cheeks,
her hair. Someone with a glove is reaching down to touch her
forehead, showing one final gesture of kindness in the midst of such
inhumanity.

What was this little girl's name, I wonder. How old was she? Was she
sleeping when the bomb hit her home? Did she die a quick death or a
slow, agonizing one? Where are her parents, her siblings? How are
they faring?

Of the 1,330 Palestinians killed by the Israeli military during the
22-day invasion of Gaza, 437 were children. Let me repeat that: 437
children-each as beautiful and precious as our own.

As a Jew, an American and a mother, I felt compelled to witness,
firsthand, what my people and my taxdollars had done during this
invasion. Visiting Gaza filled me with unbearable sadness. Unlike the
primitive weapons of Hamas, the Israelis had so many sophisticated
ways to murder, maim and destroy-unmanned drones, F-16s dropping
"smart bombs" that miss, Apache helicopters launching missiles, tanks
firing from the ground, ships shelling Gaza from the sea. So many
horrific weapons stamped with Made in the USA. While Hamas' attacks
on Israeli villages are deplorable, Israel's disproportionate
response is unconscionable, with 1,330 Palestinians dead vs. 13
Israelis.

If the invasion was designed to destroy Hamas, it failed miserably.
Not only is Hamas still in control, but it retains much popular
support. If the invasion was designed as a form of collective
punishment, it succeeded, leaving behind a trail of grieving mothers,
angry fathers and traumatized children.

To get a sense of the devastation, check out a slide show circulating
on the internet called Gaza: Massacre of Children (www.aztlan.net/
gaza/gaza_massacre_of_children.php). It should be required viewing
for all who supported this invasion of Gaza. Babies charred like
shish-kebabs. Limbs chopped off. Features melted from white
phosphorus. Faces crying out in pain, gripped by fear, overcome by
grief.

Anyone who can view the slides and still repeat the mantra that
"Israel has the right to self-defense" or "Hamas brought this upon
its own people," or worse yet, "the Israeli military didn't go far
enough," does a horrible disservice not only to the Palestinian
people, but to humanity.

Compassion, the greatest virtue in all major religions, is the basic
human emotion prompted by the suffering of others, and it triggers a
desire to alleviate that suffering. True compassion is not
circumscribed by one's faith or the nationality of those suffering.
It crosses borders; it speaks a universal language; it shares a
common spirituality. Those who have suffered themselves, such as
Holocaust victims, are supposed to have the deepest well of compassion.

The Israeli election was in full swing while was I visiting Gaza. As
I looked out on the ruins of schools, playgrounds, homes, mosques and
clinics, I recalled the words of Benjamin Netanyahu, "No matter how
strong the blows that Hamas received from Israel, it's not enough."
As I talked to distraught mothers whose children were on life support
in a bombed hospital, I thought of the "moderate" woman in the race,
Tzipi Livni, who vowed that she would not negotiate with Hamas,
insisted that "terror must be fought with force and lots of force"
and warned that "if by ending the operation we have yet to achieve
deterrence, we will continue until they get the message."

"The message," I can report, has been received. It is a message that
Israel is run by war criminals, that the lives of Palestinians mean
nothing to them. Even more chilling is the pro-war message sent by
the Israeli people with their votes for Netanyahu, Livni and anti-
Arab racist Avigdor Lieberman.

How tragic that nation born out of the unspeakable horrors of the
Holocaust has become a nation that supports the slaughter of
Palestinians.

Here in the U.S., Congress ignored the suffering of the Palestinians
and pledged its unwavering support for the Israeli state. All but
five members out of 535 voted for a resolution justifying the
invasion, falsely holding Hamas solely responsible for breaking the
ceasefire and praising Israel for facilitating humanitarian aid to
Gaza at a time when food supplies were rotting at the closed borders.

One glimmer of hope we found among people in Gaza was the Obama
administration. Many were upset that Obama did not speak out during
the invasion and that peace envoy George Mitchell, on his first trip
to the Middle East, did not visit Gaza or even Syria. But they felt
that Mitchell was a good choice and Obama, if given the space by the
American people, could play a positive role.

Who can provide that space for Obama? Who can respond to the call for
justice from the Palestinian people? Who can counter AIPAC, the
powerful lobby that supports Israeli aggression?

An organized, mobilized, coordinated grassroots movement is the
critical counterforce, and within that movement, those who have a
particularly powerful voice are American Jews. We have the beginnings
of a such a counterforce within the American Jewish community. Across
the United States, Jews joined marches, sit-ins, die-ins, even
chained themselves to Israeli consulates in protest. Jewish groups
like J Street and Brit Tzedek v'Shalom lobby for a diplomatic
solution. Tikkun organizes for a Jewish spiritual renewal grounded in
social justice. The Middle East Children's Alliance and Madre send
humanitarian aid to Palestine. Women in Black hold compelling weekly
vigils. American Jews for a Just Peace plants olive trees on the West
Bank. Jewish Voice for Peace promotes divestment from corporations
that profit from occupation. Jews Against the Occupation calls for an
end to U.S. aid to Israel.

We need greater coordination among these groups and within the
broader movement. And we need more people and more sustained
involvement, especially Jewish Americans. In loving memory of our
ancestors and for the future of our-and Palestinian-children, more
American Jews should speak out and reach out. As Sholom Schwartzbard,
a member of Jews Against the Occupation, explained at a New York City
protest, "We know from our own history what being sealed behind
barbed wire and checkpoints is like, and we know that ‘Never Again'
means not anyone, not anywhere - or it means nothing at all."

On March 7, I will return to Gaza with a large international
delegation, bringing aid but more importantly, pressuring the
Israeli, U.S. and Egyptian governments to open the borders and lift
the siege. Many members of the delegation are Jews. We will travel in
the spirit of tikkun olam, repairing the world, but with a heavy
sense of responsibility, shame and yes, compassion. We will never be
able to bring back to life the little girl buried in the rubble. But
we can-and will--hold her in our hearts as we bring a message from
America and a growing number of American Jews: To Gaza, With Love.

For information about joining the trip to Gaza, contact
gaza.codepink at gmail.com.
Medea Benjamin (medea at globalexchange.org) is cofounder of Global
Exchange (www.globalexchange.org) and CODEPINK: Women for Peace
(www.codepinkalert.org).