[HCCN] Film Blue Hill Friday 2/27, Palestine

Judy Robbins JROBBINS at MAINECOASTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 26 06:47:49 EST 2009

reminder: Peninsula Peace & Justice Film Friday evening Blue Hill
Library, 7:00 p.m.

Arna’s Children To Be Shown in Blue Hill

	Arna’s Children will be shown at the the Blue Hill Public Library on
Friday, Feb. 27, at 7pm.  The film is about a theater group for
Palestinian children living in the Jenin refugee camp, established by
Arna Mer Khamis, a Jewish woman married to a Palestinian Arab.  Much
of the film was made during the six years when the children were
young, and that footage is intercut with film of the story of what
happened to the children years later.  The program is sponsored by
Peninsula Peace and Justice.  All are invited.  There will be
refreshments.  For information, call 326-4405.

	Arna’s son, Juliano, was one of the directors of the theater.  He
filmed rehearsals and performances over a six year period.  Five
years after Arna’s death, and three years after the theater closed,
Juliano says he “returned to the ruins of Jenin with my camera, to
see what happened to the children I knew and loved...my film tries to
tell their stories and to understand their choices.”

	Variety says "[Arna’s Children is] a must-see documentary.  Sure to
spark controversy for its straightforward presentation of the
Palestinian struggle, [it] limns a devastating group portrait of the
legacy of the occupation.”