[HCCN] Fwd: Last call for names for Maine drone-test-site newspaper ad

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:20:30 EDT 2009

You all may not be familiar with the fact that there is a push from the
DoD and a private corporation to replace the becoming-defunct Brunswick
Naval Air Station with an unmanned aerial vehicle testing site.  The
pro-arguments are, of course, jobs, and that these UAVs can be used for
all kinds of non-military purposes.  The con-arguments would include the
obvious moral concern, plus the approach's obvious avoidance of
conversion to more useful activities such as green energy.

Here's a note about a full-page ad that was sent out last week (before I
left for 5 days without email).  They are asking for signatures, and, if
possible, a contribution to the ad, needed by Saturday, October 10.
I've appended the list of signers as of today.

For a larger picture of what UAV's will mean in the future of war, see

     http://www.space4peace.org/uav/from%20space.htm

For an article highlighting safety issues (relevant to Brunswick):

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/08/08/experts-criticise-plan-to-fly-unsafe-unmanned-craft-over-west-wales-91466-24347984/

And if you want to know how Maine fits into this:

    https://peaceactionme.org/plans-aerospace-industry-maine-growing

and the following, from Chellie Pingree's list of appropriations
requests that have been submitted to her, from

    http://pingree.house.gov/legis/appropriations-requests.shtml

--------
$12,750,000

Grifin, LLC
10 Mast Ln, Brunswick ME 04011 No Fax

Continuing operations at NAS Brunswick as an Unmanned Flight Center is a
means to utilize this multi-billion dollar asset to its full potential.
The transition will help close an eminent national security gap,
revitalize the regional economy that is suffering from the BRAC closure
of the base, provide job retention and creation and lead to the
development of a technology center for the emerging $62 Billion unmanned
flight industry. The Unmanned Flight Center meets specific DoD
objectives for the integration of unmanned flight and associated sensor
technology, DOT (FAA) objectives for airspace integration regarding
unmanned flight, and DHS objectives regarding Border Patrol and Coast
Guard operations.

Dick