[HCCN] Population Education Day, April 10 in Augusta

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Thu Mar 4 13:40:09 EST 2010

Please pass along to others in your group and area.

POPULATION EDUCATION DAY

You are invited to come to a population education day to learn about
the problems of overpopulation, especially in the United States (and
the influence of US policies on population throughout the world).

It will take place on Saturday, April 10, 9 AM-4 PM at the Meeting
and Facilitation Resources Building, 11 King St. (off State Street
south of the Capitol Building—look for Pat’s Pizza at the corner of
King St. and State St.), Augusta. Bring a bag lunch or food to share
for a potluck--either is OK.

There is no cost for this day. We hope you will attend.

What can each of us do to stabilize our population and reduce it so
our population does not endanger our environment and create justice
and peace problems connected to population? What is already happening
in Maine, and what groups and resources are available? How do issues
like family planning, immigration, and the role of youth influence
our policies? Who can change them?

Why this educational event? There is increasing awareness and concern
about human impact on our fragile environment. As 350.org events and
climate change debates have demonstrated, we are beginning to look
for ways to reduce our ecological footprint. But even if we reduce
our footprint, if there are more of us making those prints, the
impact is still dangerous and unsustainable.

Building awareness about population needs to start NOW. It is a
controversial subject. It needs to be a topic that we can bring up
with environmental, social, and political organizations, and in a non-
threatening way, with others in our local communities. Come to learn
more about the issue, what you can do to create a more sustainable
population in our country, and how the US can support sustainable
populations throughout the world.

For more information about this day and directions to the Meeting and
Facilitation Resources Building, 11 King St., Augusta, contact Larry
Dansinger, 161 Stovepipe Alley, Monroe, ME 04951, (207) 525-7776 or
rosc at psouth.net.