[HCCN] REMINDER: Population Education Day on April 10

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Tue Mar 30 14:05:01 EDT 2010

POPULATION EDUCATION DAY
You are invited to come to a population education day to learn about
the problems of overpopulation, especially in the United States (and
the influence of US policies on population throughout the world).

It will take place on Saturday, April 10, 9 AM-4 PM at the Meeting
and Facilitation Resources Building, 11 King St. (off State Street
south of the Capitol Building—look for Pat’s Pizza at the corner of
King St. and State St.), Augusta. Bring a bag lunch or food to share
for a potluck--either is OK. This free event will also include time
to plan followup actions in Maine to reduce population growth.

Some topics we expect to cover that day include: (1) facts, figures,
and trends; (2) population and the impact of people and consumption
(especially in the US) on the planet; (3) Family Planning and role of
women in limiting population growth; (4) immigration and population,
especially in the US; (5) resources and groups to work with; and (6)
what we can do in Maine.

What can each of us do to stabilize our population and reduce it so
our population does not endanger our environment and create justice
and peace problems connected to population? What is already happening
in Maine, and what groups and resources are available? How do issues
like family planning, immigration, and the role of youth influence
our policies? Who can change them?

Why have this educational event? There is increasing awareness and
concern about human impact on our fragile environment. But even if we
reduce our footprint, if there are more of us making those prints,
the impact is still dangerous and unsustainable.

Building awareness about population needs to start NOW. It is a
controversial subject. It needs to be a topic that we can bring up
with environmental, social, and political organizations, and in a non-
threatening way, with others in our local communities. Come to learn
more about the issue, what you can do to create a more sustainable
population in our country, and how the US can support sustainable
populations throughout the world.

For more information about this day and directions to the Meeting and
Facilitation Resources Building, 11 King St., Augusta, contact Larry
Dansinger, 161 Stovepipe Alley, Monroe, ME 04951, (207) 525-7776 or
rosc at psouth.net.